Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 Ultra Camera Problem

(Topic created on: 03-06-2022 01:48 PM)
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
My S20 Ultra has camera focusing issues. It focuses on close up (and in portrait mode) no problem. It can't focus on distance at all. Every photo or video comes out blurred! 
Camera lenses are spotless and I'm running the latest software. I've tried a full factory reset but the problem still persists. Any help in solving the issue would be most appreciated. 
0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
AndrewL
Options

@Bigtasty65: Are you using 'Photo' mode? If so, please try tapping on the area of the screen you want to focus on to see if you're able to bring your shot into focus. For shots of distant objects or landscapes, try zooming in a little, then tapping on the focus point. I'd also recommend switching lenses by tapping the tree/leaf symbols at the bottom of the viewfinder to see if you notice an improvement. Let me know how you get on. 

Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
Thanks for your response. Yes, I'm in Photo mode and I've tapped on the display to pinpiont where I want focusing....still no joy though. Zooming slightly defeats the picture I axtually want. I tried zooming in at a football match I was at. It did focus then, but I didn't get the picture I wanted by zooming in.
For reference, I've just bought the A53 5G as a spare phone to my Ultra. Ironically, the "mid-range" phone has no problem focusing on any picture I want to take. The A53 is such a great phone that my SIM card is in it full-time. Until the S20U issue is fixed somehow.
0 Likes
Techface
Journeyman
Options
Check for any Samsung updates on your device.

Also, shake your device gently, and listen out for any rattling noises. There's a chance that your phone's camera sensor that detects the space between objects is broken, so it can't figure out the correct focus settings.

Additionally, you could always try putting your finger about 3 inches away from the phone camera and attempting to focus, then moving the finger further backwards until it loses focus (if it's too far, try using a cup on a table and walking back). Stop moving as soon as it loses focus, then measure the distance and cover each camera lens one by one until it looks covered on the camera app, this will tell you which camera is having issues (each camera works for a different distance). You can then try cleaning that one lens, or push comes to shove take it to your local phone repair store to fit a new lens.
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
Thank you. I will try your suggestion tomorrow and see what happens (currently on night out at the moment) 👍🏻
0 Likes