Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 Ultra camera focus issues

(Topic created on: 14-01-2022 05:48 PM)
JonesTheSteam
Journeyman
Options
I am suffering with the same issue I have seen many others describe in Samsung Members and online namely the camera focus issue.

I purchased this phone mainly for the camera upgrade and I used to use it on almost a daily basis.

I had no problem with the phone from new but since the last major security update the camera is practically useless. I currently stand absolutely no chance capturing a spontaneous shot in anything other that 0.5 focal length. That seems to be the only focal length which will auto focus. I have to zoom in and out in hope the focus grabs but even if it does it can lose focus and start focus hunting again.

I have followed all the recommended fixes up to totally wiping the phone but after hours in contact with Samsung support they have now told me I have to take the phone into Samsung to be assessed before we can proceed any further.

This means the phone will be wiped, updated and I will be without it for several days. To say this is a massive inconvenience is an understatement as I use the device for banking and 2FA which are not easily setup again after a wipe.

The only thing that remotely makes me want to consider this option is Samsung have promised me the problem WILL be resolved one way or another.

Do I believe them? At this point no, not at all but unless I want to live with an expensive and useless (for my needs) phone have no choice but to go through with this. 

What really annoys me is I am convinced this is purely a software issue so could be resolved with a software update but instead I have to jump through these other hoops.

I own many, many Samsung products (owned a Samsung phone since the S3 andcurrently 7 Samsung mobiles in my household) but this situation has really tarnished the company in my view. 

Not so long ago this was an expensive flagship phone and I am amazed there seems to be so many people experiencing these problems and Samsung really seem to be ignoring the issue and hoping it goes away.

At this moment I don't think I'll ever purchase another Samsung mobile based on my experience with the S20 so Samsung you really need to up your game and proactively engage with S20 Ultra owners and fix these problems before people start to vote with their feet and go elsewhere.
19 REPLIES 19
Lupicite
First Poster
Options
I have an S21 Ultra with a similar issue that appeared recently. I assumed I had a hardware issue, but the issue did seem to start after an update and is really only good when using the close up lens.
JonesTheSteam
Journeyman
Options
I had also heard reports that the S21 has similar camera issues which is quite frankly astounding from a company of the size of Samsung especially as they seem to have learned no lessons at all from the problems of the S20.

This is a global leader in smartphone manufacturing and it seems they are making some staggering errors with their top phones right now.
Gerardo Acosta
First Poster
Options

Same is happening to me!! I have waste 3 months of mi time traying to fix exactly the same problem!!! Samsung customer service sucks!!!! Is extremely difficult to get in contact with someone who can help.... and they don't have a physical place that one can go and get the problem fixed.... With an IPHONE you only have to go to a Apple store and they will fix or replace the phone...no question asked....... I will never buy another Samsung Phone in my life!!! After being a loyal customer for more that 10 years... this is the first time I have to deal with customer service.... and it is annoying!!!!! Now I'm stuck with a very expensive phone with a lousy camera!!!!!!!  

TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi everyone,

It's difficult to say what is wrong with this without having a closer look. However, if you'd like you can check if this is being caused by a Hardware issue by running an Interactive check from the Samsung Members app> Get help> Interactive check> Camera.

If you feel that there is something wrong with the phone, even if this is not displayed on the test, you can get this looked at by one of our engineers on one of our Support Centres. If you are based in the UK you can locate your closest one from here: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/service-centre/

For other countries and regions please follow this link: https://www.samsung.com/uk/function/ipredirection/ipredirectionLocalList/

0 Likes
Costin88
First Poster
Options

Did you fix the camera? If yes, how? I'm so angry on Samsung,  I've been using Samsung ever since I know myself using a phone. This is ridiculous,  I paid a fortune on the phone only for the "good camera ".

Szekan
First Poster
Options

This is a hardware problem. Basically the Image stabilization gets stuck and the only way to "release" it is the shake the phone hard. 

I had similar problems mainly from 1x to 3.9x because that uses the main sensor. 

After 3 camera module replacement, now my phone is pin sharp again. 

Again this is not software related because hitting or shaking the phone fixes it, so it has to be hardware and sadly this problem is still there with all 108mp sensor from samsung

Jorge956
First Poster
Options

Did you already find the problem?

GYHT
Apprentice
Options

Same problem.  I am sure it's the software.   Samsung should be ashamed of themselves for not picking this issue up.

Members_a2Kcla2
Student
Options

Deffo software...downloaded different camera app will try and attach first pic when opened both app first one new camera app second samsung camera app...disgrace we still talk about this issue

IMG_20220719_151230.jpg

20220719_150251.jpg