Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S20 Ultra Camera focus issues - especially at close range

(Topic created on: 01/05/20 19:40)
ConcreteLlama
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Just received my S20 Ultra and have been experimenting with the camera a little. I have noticed that it is really, really bad at focusing on anything at relatively close range. If I try the same shot with the S10+ it's absolutely fine - I can get pretty insane quality pictures on the 2x lens on that from about 5cm away. This appears to be an issue on all lenses but is certainly much worse when it's using the 4x lens - as soon as it goes beyond the 4.0 point on anything less than 30-50cm away it just becomes a blurry mess, which wasn't an issue on any of my previous phones. Right now the camera feels like a downgrade in this regard...

 

Has anyone else had this? Or is there a firmware due to patch it? One of the main reasons I got the S20 Ultra was for the incredible camera but right now I'm quite disappointed with its performance. I did hear that a patch was due but I don't see any when trying to update - maybe it's just not been rolled out yet.

 

EDIT: Just had a look around and noticed that I was looking at the wrong part of the software version number, assuming I already had the update and it was still bad. It looks like the phones come shipped with firmware version ending in ATBM and the firmware that fixes the camera issues is ATC2

 

Either way if possible I'd still like to know an ETA on the update.

133 REPLIES 133
Aumeisters
Pathfinder
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

10x Pro mode10x Pro mode

 

9.8x normal mode9.8x normal mode

 

10x normal mode10x normal mode

All photos same distance around 30cm1x normal mode1x normal mode

 

0 Likes
Reply
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

it focuses better below 10x because it uses the normal 108mpx and crops in without telling you.

There is little sense in using a 10x to close in on subject 30cm away. also the 4x optical to be able to focus subject in the long distance, which is what it is made for, it needs to have a long focal lenght and so it will not focus well on close subjects.

 

Aumeisters
Pathfinder
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@Anonymous User wrote:

it focuses better below 10x because it uses the normal 108mpx and crops in without telling you.

There is little sense in using a 10x to close in on subject 30cm away. also the 4x optical to be able to focus subject in the long distance, which is what it is made for, it needs to have a long focal lenght and so it will not focus well on close subjects.

 


Well before this update I could focus 10x at 30cm. I can focus my Canon DSLR 100mm f2.8 at 30cm no problem. You telling me that samsungs 10x is bigger magnification than that?

Psych
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Here is an interesting review which sums up my feelings on the S20 Ultra ....  https://youtu.be/K37gF3xqAs0

 

Still in the process of attempting to return. 

0 Likes
Reply
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@Aumeisters wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

it focuses better below 10x because it uses the normal 108mpx and crops in without telling you.

There is little sense in using a 10x to close in on subject 30cm away. also the 4x optical to be able to focus subject in the long distance, which is what it is made for, it needs to have a long focal lenght and so it will not focus well on close subjects.

 


Well before this update I could focus 10x at 30cm. I can focus my Canon DSLR 100mm f2.8 at 30cm no problem. You telling me that samsungs 10x is bigger magnification than that?


The focal aperture lense and sensor are complrtely different...

0 Likes
Reply
Sybexx
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Since updating my S20 to ATD5 the camera focus has become really blurred especially when I have the asspect  set to 3:4 64mb, please fix this Samsung, I have always been happy with the camera since the S20 was released, now its really poor 😞 

0 Likes
Reply
MQH
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Surprised, photo from Galaxy S20 ultra is blurry, not as sharp as photo from Galaxy S5. Just take one photo, zoom it to maximum and you can see

This is absolutely disappointing Samsung !!!

0 Likes
Reply
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@MQH wrote:

Surprised, photo from Galaxy S20 ultra is blurry, not as sharp as photo from Galaxy S5. Just take one photo, zoom it to maximum and you can see

This is absolutely disappointing Samsung !!!


lol. I went from an s5 to an s10 and i have to say that apart low light and some coluor balance sometimes, the s5 camera in daylight is still super great

0 Likes
Reply
SanjayC
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hi, I bought it outright from the store - huge mistake, I should have bought it from Amazon - they would have sorted it out immediately.

I've learnt my lesson !

0 Likes
Reply
maverick22
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Yiu guys should watch the unbox therapy latest video. Here he does criticise the camera and the issues with focusing.

 

https://youtu.be/8tQSjEmP0go

0 Likes
Reply