Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 touch screen problems since update

(Topic created on: 19-01-2022 10:19 AM)
GBW1
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I recently updated my phone to the new Android update. Then yesterday evening my phone dumped its power, going from around 16% to 0% in less than 5 minutes. I wasn't using the phone at the time and the screen was off - although I had just checked for notifications at 16%.

The battery history in the settings shows that the battery power went vertically downwards.

After restarting the phone, I found it unresponsive. I've since figured out that it's the top half of the touchscreen that is unresponsive, from about the level of the power button upwards. It will work on occasions, and so is not completely broken, but otherwise no swipe of press in this portion of the screen has any effect. The screen is not damaged in that portion of the phone - there is a very faint hairline crack in the lower half of the screen on the lower left side, but this is over a year old.

I have restarted the phone many times, deleted the cache partition, and closed all open apps - not of which has worked. On a rare occasion it has work perfectly again, only to then stop working.

I hadn't installed any new software, changed the settings and the phone does not have a virus or other malware.

I'm not sure if it's related, but if I hold the power button, the menu has the power off button greyed out now, so I can only restart it - if I want to shut down I need to hold the power and volume buttons down.

Are there any suggestions on how to fix this without having to do a factory reset? Thanks

25 REPLIES 25
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
You could try clicking on the get help button at the bottom of the samsung members page and run a diagnostic test
0 Likes
GBW1
Apprentice
Options

Thanks. I've run the test and everything is ok apart from the touchscreen, which is non-responsive in the upper half of the screen.

xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Do you still have warranty On it
If so you could ask support
https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/
interceptor1
Journeyman
Options
I am having the same problem with my touch screen since the last update not working
GBW1
Apprentice
Options

Thanks Steve, I've been in touch with support. They wanted me to pay £300 (half of what I paid for the phone) to fix my screen even although the phone is still under warranty.

I said I wanted to make a complaint and I'm waiting for a phone call from them; which they scheduled for 10:30am - 45 minutes ago. If they ever phone, I'll post what they say. 

0 Likes
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Have you tried
Clicking on the get help button
At the bottom of the samsung members page and run a diagnostic test
0 Likes
GBW1
Apprentice
Options

Spoke with Samsung. Absolutely horrific customer service.

The first caller could only read from a script, and so kept repeating the same lines, so I asked to speak with someone else. After being on hold for 30 minutes, the guy I spoke to said that I would also need to pay for the repair. He was sympathetic, but ultimately said that was their final decision.

I have a phone that is still in the guarantee period, absolutely immaculate apart from a tiny, tiny crack that you can't see unless you tilt the phone in sunlight, and has nothing to do with the issue with the phone, it's purely aesthetic.

I don't want that repaired, just the dead touchscreen, but as Samsung's policy is that everything must be repaired, even if the customer doesn't want it to, means that their failed hardware/software will effectively cost me £300 to repair - as I'll have to pay for a new screen. So the warranty is absolutely useless.

There's no chance me, my wife or kids will ever buy a Samsung product again.

0 Likes
ianixius
First Poster
Options

Top part of the phone also stopped working for me! 

But only when I am in apps - when I swipe down when I am in settings, everything works fine. 

I just updated to new android, prior to that I had no issues!

Leigh212
First Poster
Options

I have also been having a similar issue since the last update, although the top half of my screen works i cannot touch any apps or swipe screens or anything i just have to restart phone everytime it happens. Are there any solutions to this? I never had any problems beforehand.

0 Likes