Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S20+ screen dims in sunlight

(Topic created on: 23/04/20 17:34)
snook123
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hi, is it just me that my S20+ display goes dim when outside in the sunshine?

So I sit down outside, turn the phone on and the display is fine lovely and bright as you would expect, but after a few minutes the display dims to almost unreadable. Now I have tested this and its not me!! When you point the screen to the sun it does not brighten back up. While sat trying to read the screen it will intermettent go bright and dim again even if the sun has not gone in and I haven't moved the phone. Is anyone else having this issue?

47 REPLIES 47
baviaan
Observer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Yes..same problem here which is quite frustrating. Definitly a major problem Samsung should be adressing. 

Cipri74
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

That's because of phone heating excessively under direct sunlight. It's for screen protection. It happened to me as well on the iPhone, note 10 plus and now S20 Ultra. 

gadgetgaz
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

This is complete BS. How can they make a phone that gets so hot you can't use it?. What's the point of having the thing if it can't even be used outside? Throttle the CPU maybe but don't shut off the screen!

Cipri74
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

totally agree with you 

snook123
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Well I'm sat outside with my s9+ at 43 degrees and the screen is fine, infact it only dims slighty at 45 degrees but it's not often it gets that hot. The s20 dimmed to unreadable outside at 41 degrees so they need to adjust that, I thought they might have done it in the latest update, just throttle the cpu and not the screen, can't be that hard to do. Anyway good luck, hope they fix it, I'm happy with the S9+ 

0 Likes
jslok
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

The dimming issue even happens when using power saving mode limiting the cpu to 70% and lowering brightness 10%.

0 Likes
Camsimed
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Exactly the same thing. Screens dims in sunlight, barely readable ! i hope a FIX from Samsung !!!

Alex_2020
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Just an update to my sad story posted here earlier on page 2.

I did not give up (thank you guys for the support btw). It took several more visits to the service center and few weeks of extra time till samsung finally informed me they decided to change the device. Although after multiply unsuccessful repair atempts and a short research I would prefer a refund. Anyway they changed it and just as expected the new device had exactly the same issue - overheating and dimming, becoming uncomfortably hot and almost unreadable not only under direct sunlight as some report here, but also in the shade as long as it is warm enough outside.

Reported at the service center right away, without even leaving it. And asked for a refund again so I could buy a properly functioning phone suitable for a normal day to day use. Reminded that I was a samsung's loyal customer (third samsung) patiently waiting for the solution for 2 months and that I can not wait any longer as I'm about to leave the country for 4 months (they have already received all this info earlier from me as well).

The service center guy sent a new report to the head office (that the new phone has the same problem as well and that the client wants a refund). And guess what their reply was? Believe it or not, there was no reply at all. During the next several days we sent several reminders through the service center. Nothing. I then called samsung's support, told whole story again, with reference numbers, etc. and they said no worries, someone would get back to me "tomorrow or the day after tomorrow". Wanna guess again what they told me when they finally did get back to me? Nothing as they simply did not do it. Not tomorrow, not the day after tomorrow or on any other day. Five days passed and I left the country. It has been 10 days now and no reply or update of any kind.

And just in case someone missed it and is about starting with the stories about how great s20 series are and how samsung takes care about their best in the world screens to extend their life or not to hurt our eyes, etc. - after many tests I can tell you this: although my son's s7 and my wife's iphone 11pro may eventually get hot and dim in the sun, they do it after a much-much longer period of extensive usage, so you have enough time to read mail, shoot photos or videos and do other stuff in the sun if needed. And if they ever overheat and dim in the sun - you just take them to the shade and they cool down really quicky. And while in the shade they have no issus all all (you can enjoy your phone all day long and nothing happens, phone wont burn your ear if you need to answer a call and white color will stay white, not pinkish or grey). While my s20+ gets hot, dims and becomes bearly readable in exactly the same conditions (in the shade, not even in the sun!!), within several minutes and wont cool down unless I take it inside. Im fed up both with this device and samsungs customer service. I wish I never bought it and as for now I dont feel like spending my money on samsung products anymore.

0 Likes
Nldutchyjay
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Geez man, what a story. Im so sorry you could not achieve anything after all that effort. Isnt there any official agency that can help you? Here in the Netherlands we have a "consumer protection agency" that will take up from where you left on for you, free of charge, and are more likely to succeed. Otherwise id call my insurance and get a lawyer to take this to court.

However, seeing how you got a new phone as a "repaired one". Isnt there a 7 or 14 days not good money back guarantee? Apply for a repair, do not unpack the new phone, and give it back claiming your money back. Wouldnt that work, if anything else fails? Your samsung warranty is world wide, so whereever you are, you could try that maybe?

Anyhow, its a clear indication that samsung just simply dont give a ***** that they made a bad phone. Im sorry they failed to help you, im just glad i had the wits to return it straight away
0 Likes
Bobdabuilda
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I also have this problem with the s20 Plus 5g phone. I have had the phone a week and inititally I thought it was just user erro but now  I have found that its a common problem. For a flagship phone this is ridiculous- it overheats with the slightest of effort and is unuseable in the sunlight. I suspect this is not helped by the Exynos chip in the UK handset either. I have asked for a return and refund forthwith. I will never go back to Samsung after this.

0 Likes