Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S20+ screen dims in sunlight

(Topic created on: 11/05/20 18:50)
snook123
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hi, is it just me that my S20+ display goes dim when outside in the sunshine?

So I sit down outside, turn the phone on and the display is fine lovely and bright as you would expect, but after a few minutes the display dims to almost unreadable. Now I have tested this and its not me!! When you point the screen to the sun it does not brighten back up. While sat trying to read the screen it will intermettent go bright and dim again even if the sun has not gone in and I haven't moved the phone. Is anyone else having this issue?

47 REPLIES 47
rqballjh
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Totally ridiculous. It's mine, i bought it, let me do what i want with it. Don't force this BS on me like those bs apps
0 Likes
snook123
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I gave up as today in the hot weather even my metallic shield was no good, I held a J6 next to the S20 and the J6 at 43 degrees was brighter than the S20 at 41 degrees. I have rung samsung and they are returning the phone and a refund. So I'm now without a phone!!! Thinking s9+ just to do me till S30 comes out next year, any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks.

0 Likes
rqballjh
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Samsung needs to fix it! Let us control the phones we paid for
0 Likes
Nldutchyjay
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I had this exact issue. Contacted samsumg endlesly about it, claimed to be unaware of the issue. Long story short, claimed a dead-on-arival first, and when the second phone had the same issue, i got it returned to samsung and got my money back.

Samsung, shame on you for the "its for your own safety" comment. Youve made a phone thats unfit for daily use. It should be desinged to be operable outside, as any other phone was before the s20. There is no excuse why a brand new phone that costs more than a 2nd hand car performs worse than its older counterparts. 

snook123
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Yeah its disgusting, can't believe its not in the papers can't be just us that its happening to. I'm more gutted I traded in my perfect s7 edge, Samsung said the would try and find it but I'm not holding much hope. Anyway I've ordered a s9+ has good reviews and only £300 opened box new one. Hopefully comes before this pile of ***** goes back on Friday.  The finger print sensor is rubbish too as sometimes doesn't read and always slow to read. Anyway hope Sammy fix the issues for everyone, I'm out of here

0 Likes
Alex_2020
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

You guys at least get a refund. I have exactly the same issue with my s20+ and I’m about to give up.

I failed to report the issue within the first week after the purchase as it took me a while to fully understand the problem and when I came back to the store where I have bought my phone - it was already closed because of the coronavirus. Later I have provided Samsung with the photos of my s20+ screen next to other phones demonstrating the problem and this photos were taken as early as on the next days after the purchase (file details), but it did not help, they said it did not count. I also reported the issue through Samsung members. Did it twice and waited for several days till I finally received a reply. My ticket was pretty detailed with a lot of useful info for Samsung’s team, comparison photos, setting screenshots, etc. Guess what their reply was? They advised me to try to adjust the brightness in the settings menu. Brilliant.

I then called a support and asked to change the phone, but my request was declined. Instead I got assured the problem will be fixed if I get my phone to the official service center. The closest one was about 30km away. By now I have visited it many times (by taxi as there is no other public transport available here at the moment). For the past month I felt myself being a voluntary beta-tester for Samsung. I followed instructions they sent me and made numerous tests (mostly already done on my own before getting to the service), including settings resets, restarting in a safe mode, power saving modes, factory resets, sending log files, etc. Several times I left my phone at the service center and they returned it to me saying the problem was solved, but every time I took it out I saw the same dark screen again. I have asked to change the phone or to refund, but no, they would rather change the screen and the motherboard. And when it did not help they said I need to wait for the software updates. Not knowing when it arrives and if it helps. I have no problem with the service center guy - it is a nice person and he follows samsungs instructions, but someone at samsung had to react. Which did not happen, despite the fact, that both me and service center guy talked to samsung managers several times over the phone explaining the situation over and over again. 

The bottom line is – I bought a Samsung phone for over 1000 eur and I can not use it outside during a warm sunny day (which is almost any day here). I suggested that I pay extra and change it for ultra (if it does not have the same problem - I need a phone I can use outside!), but received no reply. Now I use my wife’s Iphone or my son’s S7 whenever I’m outside (that are perfectly readable and bright in the same conditions) and look for a new phone for myself. I really hate to say it, but the way things are at the moment - it won’t be a Samsung. Not because the model I purchased has a problem, but because of the way Samsung handles it.

snook123
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Omg that is disgusting,  makes you want to ditch samsung completely,  this issue needs to be taken up by the media, for gods sake you can't use the phone outside for more than 3 minutes on a warm day, when I rang and told the person the reason I'm returning it she didn't say a word, I felt she has heard the reason multiple times, this is a disgrace. 

0 Likes
rqballjh
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Samsung!  You listening? $1,200 phone and you choose went to dim ir?   For sale. I would totally return it if it was within my warranty. Really? 

Nldutchyjay
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Honestly dude, i get your frustration and i see you tried everything you could, but dont settle down. Dont agree with it. There are plenty laws that ensure buyers protection. Go back to the store, claim that the phone is clearly unfit for its designed purpose, and claim going to court if they fail to give you a full refund. Any judge will choose your side given your extensive testing, issues, reporting and repairs. 

Fact is; when you buy a phone, you expect it to last at least 2 years and to be usable in day-to-day context. Which includes usage outside in the sun. The fact that samsung hints on the fact this phone being an update (the best phone yet...) makes it probable that these issues are not to be expected by you. Thus if unsatisfactory, you are not limited by a 2 week or 4 week "change your mind" period. 

Its the same as buying a brand new car and then discovering it can only be used during the wintertimes. If the dealer did not communicate this clearly, any judge would rule in your favor.

I wish you luck my friend. I hope samsung ends up with another used S20+ that is fit for the garbagecan, and you get your money back. You should, it is your every right.

0 Likes
jslok
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I'm also having this issue. Screen dims when the phone gets slightly warm in sunlight. So frustrating....

0 Likes