Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S20 Random Restarts

(Topic created on: 11-03-2020 01:36 PM)
JackIsaacs
Apprentice
Options

Hi All, 

Is anyone else experiencing random restarts with there S20. 

My keeps restarting randomly when i am in the middle of using it. 

Any ideas??

717 REPLIES 717
Rainon
Student
Options

I'm also having this issue. System and apps all up to date. This happens when on or off charge and also in safe mode. 

For what this phone costs, I would really expect more! What are Samsung doing to rectify this? 

bgyoung
First Poster
Options

Just got an new s20 today. Took me 3 hours just to get the thing set up, must of restarted 30 times. The only way I could get it to work was to use the stupid apps copy thing from my old phone (s9), which I DID NOT WANT TO USE. At least I got the thing to actually turn on, came to this thread and started to count the reboots. All in all it has restarted 47 times in 4 hours before I finally switched it off and re-boxed it. Tried the update, it crashed on update, rebooted OF COURSE, then told me I need to take it to get the firmware checked. Its getting returned tomorrow. I can not believe Samsung released something in this state, I have used them for years. Never again.  

Jenrrr
Apprentice
Options

My phone is now fixed,  it took 3 attempts of sending it in and jumping up and down with Samsung..... Had been restarting since the day I recieved it... They ended replacing parts on the third send back. It's great now, but I'm highly disappointed. Samsung also deny that this phone has a fault, which is totally BS!! 

Jelilatadesiyan
First Poster
Options

My S20 FE has restarted  4 times already tonight, in the span of a few minutes. Always when I'm reading on kindle.  With my previous samsung  I never had this issue. It's only 4 days old.

Tea22
First Poster
Options

I have also got a Samsung s20 that is just over a week old.  It restarts randomly at least once every two hours. I have done all the recommended things such as updates but nothing has changed. 

For such an expensive and mainstream device this is unacceptable. 

If they can't solve this issue in the next few days I will return the device and go to a manufacturer that can get the Basics right.   Very Frustrated! 

DugGraves
First Poster
Options

Guy's not only do i have the random restarts problem (S20+ 4g, SM-G985F) but i also have a bug where when going into pro camera and clicking the filters button ( where it says standard by default, the screen starts glitching out ).. this is reproducible every single time and was sent back to Sammung and was told that the fault could not be reproduced ?!?!?! ( i dont know how they couldn't find it as i was able to reproduce it with in seconds even after a factory reset )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emfVq8S7XWI

i haven't found any other info on this bug/fault so wondering if anyone else is having this issue... btw restarts are anywhere from 1 a day and have had as many as 5 in an hour with very little phone use, have had it do it twice when just unlocking screen from sitting on my desk not being used ??..... also random restarted within 5 minutes of receiving it back from supposed testing at samsung so they can't of done a whole lot of testing.
This is outrageous to say the least from a $1500 brand new high end phone and a company as big as Samsung, i have a medical condition which requires i have a reliable phone and so far im 7 weeks into a 3 year phone contract and still don't have a reliable phone which was the whole reason i needed to get a new phone in the first place and with no offers to supply a replacement or even provide a temporary phone while this one is being fixed ( which didn't get fixed after sending it away anyway ).... Thank's Samsung, i just gotta hope the phone doesn't decide to restart while im on an emergency service's call or you may have more than just badly made phone's on your conscience

Oussama2002
First Poster
Options

Ok so i have updated my phone to the october 1 2020 update and i think the restarting issue related to the camera app is now fixed when i open my camera or anything that uses the camera it doesn't restart anymore.

I will keep you guys updated if the issue appears again.

0 Likes
Members_laNpbHc
Student
Options

Hey everyone,

Just got my own S20 Ultra, the reboot problem was already occurring during setup, however so far it hasn't rebooted during safe mode. It would seem that an app is causing the problem then, but it must be a pre-installed one. I already deleted a bunch of Google, Samsung and Microsoft apps that aren't available during safe mode, yet it still restarted anyway. Hopefully something gives at some point, I just wiped the cache partition and repaired the apps in recovery mode, so let's see.

I'm more concerned about the absolute lack of media coverage on this apparently common and glaring issue, one that still affects people 9 months after release. If I had known about this issue beforehand, I would have been more apprehensive about this purchase. 

Members_laNpbHc
Student
Options

Quick update, apparently wifi connection can also cause the reboot, which may explain why it does not occur during safe mode. Sad stuff Samsung

0 Likes
443skyler
Student
Options
rich
0 Likes