Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S20 overheating??

(Topic created on: 27/04/20 11:43)
Marlena2
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hi i wonder if anyone who has received their S20 has experienced some overheating? I upgraded from my S9 which occasionally was hot during charging and heavg usage whereas the S20 is getting really hot from normal usage like phone calls or using the phone for longer than 10 mimutes and no where near the heavy usage the S9 went through. Any ideas anyone?? Thanks in advance.

148 REPLIES 148
Ramicoo
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Same here. S20 plus (normal not 5g) 

0 Likes
thunder_god_bane
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I'm having the same issue, S20 5G variant. I have 120hz on and battery on Optimized yet the phone seems to be hot even with very little use. 

Do I really need to get a replacement? 

I just upgraded to this device from an iPhone 11 pro, my first move to android, so I don't know if this is normal of Galaxy phones? 

0 Likes
ikatar
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

It's not normal and I ordered a replacement already and I would recommend doing that as well because not everyone is experiencing it. 

0 Likes
Marlena2
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I agree, my replacement phone is normal and can now definitely see the upgrade from the s9 whereas on my 1st initial phone it was a downgrade.

0 Likes
thunder_god_bane
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Thanks, guess I'll have to call my network provider to order a replacement.

Quick question, whats the best method for backing up the phone? Usually on iPhone iTunes does it perfectly so setting up a new phone is pretty easy.
0 Likes
ikatar
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Just search for backup in settings and back it all up to Samsung account. On the next phone just restore from that account and you should have the exact same phone. You might also want to back it up to Google (same menu) just in case.
0 Likes
Nico123456
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

after a complete reset without using samsung smart switch (some said it could cause battery drain) , and a week use (battery optimiser completed usage pattern learning) , i have 4:30 SOT with 27hours between 2 charges. The device is running warm as soon as i use youtube or samsung browser. Should i get a replacement or i got fu...by a 1300€ exynos ??

0 Likes
thunder_god_bane
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Its worth adding my phone has stopped overheating now, my battery app warned me that chrome was draining my battery so I disabled the chrome app and now use samsung internet. An i gotta say my device has been acting normally now.

But im on a exynos anyway since im in the Uk.
0 Likes
skykit84
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

UK here.  got the unit yesterday directly from Samsung.

Glad to say no issues with overheating at all.  Used it practically all day yesterday from point of delivery + charging (1pm-2pm ish) until about 11pm getting it setup the way I want as I never do backup>restore especially on device or major release upgrades.

Battery lasted from 2pm (100%) until 12:30pm today (3%)

But thats good going given the amount of screen-time yesterday, installation of apps etc wifi, bluetooth on and on the 120hz + random testing camera and so on.

Today all day its been fine too

0 Likes
Vectraking
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hey guys,

Same Problem with my S20 4G.

IT gets very warm even in normal use (literally just laying there, WiFi and GPS off). 

It also loses a lot of battery. Especially from 100% to 95% (only 10 Minutes screentime).

What should i do?

Phone Was bought on March, 10th directly from samsung.

Thank you guys

0 Likes
Yaz786
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have the same issue, overheating over light usage 

0 Likes
Theophilosp
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have the same problem! I am on Facebook just to read an see video's and the temperature of the cpu is 56 to 60 degrees of Celsius!!!! Would say that Samsung replace the phon an the new one is ok;;

0 Likes
SmallFish
Pathfinder
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have a S20+ to replace my S20 Ultra. The Plus definitely overheats whereas the Ultra just got warm. I think it's the smaller enclosure that's causing it (plus an overheating CPU obviously).

Would be interested if anybody's phone is overheating when NOT running:

1. camera app for a few minutes

2. a graphically demanding game

3. 120Hz screen refresh

I don't believe my S20+ to be unusual, from other stories I've read, that when taking photo's it overheats.

What we don't want is to Samsung just to thottle the CPU further to get around this. It's either bad hardware (990 seems not fit for purpose) or very bad code. Either way, Samsung, give us an ETA for resolution please.

11ajdelacruz
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have an exynos version and yes it overheats badly when i play games bad purchase

0 Likes
RohanWicks
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hey, 

So as all of you have, i recently got the s20 Exynos version. The phone operates fine. However, i find it overheating when I do things like Whatsapp Video call. There was also a point when i was setting up Google Assisstant and it was overheating - the app eventually stopped working properly and i restarted the phone and it was fine after. The whatsapp video call overheating still persists though. 

I don't know what to think of it, any advice will extremely appreciated. 

Thank you :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Seshadri
Observer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I got my s20 (5g) two days back and just noticed that phone is heating during whatsapp video call and also when i use camera for just about 5-10 minutes. I'm not sure if its generic or specific to my device, thinking about replacement 😞

0 Likes
C1973
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
the same thing happened to me and I did replace and so far I haven't had any problems
0 Likes
varun1234
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
same here
0 Likes
Travelingwithpi
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Its thermal throttling, the Exynos chip is not capable of what the Snapdragon can do.
0 Likes
luke232
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

my samsung s20 5g. over heating badly needed to be restarted multiple times.

today was bad needed to restart 7 times throughout the day, was in airconditioned room all day.

interenet now played up and back of phone has now cracked from the left side, and getting worse.

im guessing the battery is expanding becuase phone is turned off and is still cracking, i dont know what to do

0 Likes
Ashish577
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Make sure to keep everything on record - A video if possible to prove the damage was not accidental. Also, if you could share some pictures, would like to see what you are facing

0 Likes