Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S20 overheating issue

(Topic created on: 06/05/20 15:33)
ayush_97
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I am facing heating issues with my S20. I could understand if it heated up during charging or because of heavy usage but it gets heated up even during normal usage. Sometimes the camera app shuts down because of overheating and refuses to open up.  To reduce the heat I have to operate it on HD resolution and 60Hz refresh rate. This is really unacceptable as I bought the phone mainly because of its camera and display. Now I am really regretting my purchase decision. Please reply if anyone has a solution for this.

38 REPLIES 38
Sems
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
technostud
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Buddy I'm also facing same issue in my s20

Normal usage is causing heating which i think is not normal

0 Likes
ABBYII
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Samsung has release a update on 1st May, try updating... i qlso faced the same issue and from past 4hours my s20 never felt so cold... i guess they have worked on heating issue

This is just 4 hours review post update

0 Likes
drmajumdar
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

hi, my heating issue is on the top left hand corner soon after using it. Is that similar to your issue? If so, what software did you download to resolve it?

0 Likes
ABBYII
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
yes i had the same issue on top left corner mostly when i use to open camera app for more than 2-3 min, i updated the sw release on 1.5.2020 in India... and till date i hve not faced the heating issue again
0 Likes
London2tim
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

seriously

what the F* efffing is going on with this phone

mine starts to heat up about 5min into using it

let me confirm - i dont use games, and the phone is at 60zh qHD set up/optimised battery

after 5min of checking apps (like email, facebook instagram) it starts to heat up FAST - the worst of the heat (mind you i have a cover so that could also be why) feels like on the front side (screen) upper left - i believe that is where the chip is

the heat doesnt go down until 5 min after i stop using the phone - during the time the phone gets hot, the battery drains at 1% every 2-3 min 

may update didnt make any difference probably because it wasnt more than a security update

I mean honestly this is messed up - think about battery life over time - if its constantly submitted to such high temp

also i am not exagerating when i say the phone is so hot you cannot hold it or put it in your pocket afterwards

WHAT IS CAUSING THIS ISSUE????

is it software - i doubt - i fear is hardware

i read somewhere that is because exynos/mali setup isnt right 

did no one at samsung bother to *****ing check these things before releasing millions of phones into the wild 

do they not care at all if they start exploding again???? im sure is only a matter of time before they do - i wonder if THEN they will acknoledge this issue???

they have also locked super fast charging - basically once the phone heats up (so quite quickly) the display drops back to 60 and the super fast charging gets locked to fast charging - so 2 MAIN features - stop working 

I didnt pay £1000 for this - for limited usage, burning my hands, cant put the phone to my ears etc 

I also didnt pay to have samsung burry his head in the sand about it and act like this is not them or the phone when millions are facing the same issue

is there NO ONE here that can shed light into *** is going on and how is this going to be fixed - if it will 

I cannot see my self using this phone for 12mo in these conditions, i also cannot return it nor sell it - so am in a really bad spot like many here are - SAMSUNG what are you doing about it???????

TessM
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hey @London2tim ,

have you tried to remove the case and monitor the phone to see if this is still happening? Is this only happening when you check your social media profiles or emails?

Before continuing with this, it’s worth taking the time to examine what is hot. Your phone under normal use should not be hot. However, warm may be interpreted as hot. A slightly warmer feel after playing a game for 15 minutes or using prowefull apps such as social media and emails is normal. But if your phone displays an overheating alert, or you find the device is surprisingly hot to the touch, then I woul be happy to investigate this.

0 Likes
London2tim
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

i only use the phone to check emails, social media, whatsapp or weather

i dont play games nor watch videos 

so its by far a very basic usage of the phone 

Whats hot? like something that is hot as a frying pan - think 40-43C temp of the screen when you touch it - it seems to be concentrated in the left upper side - so clearly something inside the phone is heating up 

i doubt a replacement would fix this since so many people have this issues - on the exynos - i really think - like i said - there is something wrong with this phone in general 

please - i know you know it too - tell us something will fix it soon

babji95
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Even I'm face the same problem .my phone is always heat even though phone is not in use and battery is just draining very face.
0 Likes
London2tim
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

also is really very difficult to even make you understand how hot/what hot it is - unless you're here to touch it yourself 

glad you want to investigate but how are you planning on doing this - remotely?

theawkwardguyyy
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@London2tim wrote:

also is really very difficult to even make you understand how hot/what hot it is - unless you're here to touch it yourself 

glad you want to investigate but how are you planning on doing this - remotely?

You can use this app to get the temprature of your phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glgjing.stark

But the issue is there and I can confirm! When I'm playing "Gears of War POP!" my phone quickly goes to around 40-42 C temprature. But today, when I was playing that + downloading app in the background and then doing some browsing, I used my phone for around 10-15mins and it went upto 47C 😮

And no it is not normal for a phone to heat up on prolonged usage! I had a OnePlus before this and it had no such issues.

0 Likes
London2tim
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

well whatever it is the issue - doesnt seems like Samsung care or will acknowledge 

seems like they forgot s20's already and are now focusing on note20 

0 Likes
Ben982
Just Browsing
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have the same problem no real solution until now. The only one is to buy a different brand 

0 Likes
Ashish577
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@ABBYII Which region? I have not received any update on 1st May, last I received was on 26th April, also could you share the version?

0 Likes
roccoavena66
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Send it back for a refund, Samsung believes the customers in the UK are morons
jonrms
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Mine is doing the same, My phone shut down. But just before it did I grabbed a screenshot.  Note the bottomNote the bottom

0 Likes
JasonM84
Observer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Mine was overheating. I notice it was whenever I was showing 5G in the status bar. So I went into settings and disabled 5G. Its still way faster than my S9 running on 4G LTE and no more overheating. 

Doesn't even get warm.

London2tim
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

lol

so yet another feature that cant really be used without phone going crazy, albeit we paid for it

that seems to sum up S20's series 

Brandie
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Thank you so much for that info! Worked IMMEDIATELY!

Owendbyme1980
Observer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Thank u very mutch 😀

0 Likes