Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 FE not playing .wma files

(Topic created on: 27-01-2022 02:57 PM)
Degsy666
Apprentice
Options
I raised this issue with Helbert of online support yesterday, and he suggested that I also post it here.
I have a brand new S20 FE, updated with the latest software, and am in the process of transferring the apps from my old S7.
I have a large music collection, in several formats, and was disappointed to find that the .wma files would not play on the Samsung Music app - they just scroll rapidly through the titles without any sound at all.
This issue seems to have also been logged by the S21 Community, and the Samsung response was that WMA is no longer supported by Samsung, and to try a 3rd party app (not specified).
To cut a long story short, I have found that .wma's will play on Rocket Player.
I am not totally satisfied with this, as Samsung Music is my preferred app, that I have been using for many years.
Can someone please explain why .wma is not supported, and if it will in the near future?
#wma, #S20, #SamsungMusic
0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
This page maybe helpful

Galaxy phone or tablet will not play WMA files

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01213339/

View solution in context

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Solution
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
This page maybe helpful

Galaxy phone or tablet will not play WMA files

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01213339/
0 Likes
Degsy666
Apprentice
Options
Thanks Steve, but that is just confirming that I should use some other app, rather than how to get Samsung Music, and many other music apps working. E.g. can I just import another CODEC?
0 Likes
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
I'm not sure
I remember wma files on Windows music player
Not sure samsung music player will play wma
0 Likes
Degsy666
Apprentice
Options
I've been playing wma's for years using Samsung Music on previous phones like the S4 and S7. Looking on the Community, this seems to be quite recent. Looks like a business decision not to support a Windows product??
I'm not thrilled at the prospect of converting hundreds of albums into a different format. I also use .flac a lot, which seems to be OK.
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
This page maybe helpful

Make sure the file is supported by your Galaxy.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001308/
0 Likes
Degsy666
Apprentice
Options
Just confirms that wma is not natively supported, and to use a 3rd party. Ah well.....! Thanks for trying 😀
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I read that renaming the files to .mp3 works. I haven't tried it though. You could run a batch command in Windows to rename them, quickly.
0 Likes
Degsy666
Apprentice
Options
Yeh, I read that to, although it doesn't make much sense to me, as you would then have a .wma formatted file being applied against a .mp3 codec. Anyhow, I did try it, and unsurprisingly it did not work. Not only that, but if you look at the track details, Samsung Music still thinks that it is a .wma file.
Thanks for trying though.
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Sorry that didn't work. Encoding files is a pain. I use flac exclusively as my music collection are live bootlegs which are lossless when I download them.
0 Likes