Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S20 FE - Android 11 update

(Topic created on: 11-01-2021 10:43 AM)
DanTyler
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Ibe had this phone just over a week after transferring all data from my old S8. All was well until the latest update, since then my phone has been pratically unusable apart from the odd moment. 
The phone goes through a reboot cycle approx 5 times before it is able to be unlocked. Then within a couple of minutes does the same cycle. Rebooting itself repeatedly and its so frustrating.
Samsung have advised it might be a third part app that's causing the error.. my point is the issue has only arose since the latest Android 11/UI3 update. 
I've put in an error report and awaiting feedback. Wondering if anyone else is having the same issue? 

4 REPLIES 4
ironass
Big Cheese
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Please bear in mind that there are a lot of 3rd party apps on the Google Play Store that have not been updated by their developers for the changes in Android 11 in spite of having 8 months advance notice. Personally, I had to remove two 3rd party apps when I moved to Android 11 as they were causing overheating and battery drain.

If you have not already done so, try running your device in Safe Mode for a few hours and see if your issues persist. Safe Mode disables 3rd party apps and should help to narrow your issues down.

Another thing that you can safely do is to wipe your device's cache partition in Recovery Mode. This will clear out any temporary detritus left over from Android 10.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 16/512GB (G998B D/S) CSC=BTU
0 Likes
DanTyler
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Hi, this is really helpful thank you.
I have run the device in safe mode and the issue did seem to stop.
how do you find out what apps are causing the issue? what apps did you delete out of interest? I'll delete anything not required to get rid of this annoying issue.

can you also advise how to run recovery mode and steps to clear the cache as described?

thanks again for you help
0 Likes
ironass
Big Cheese
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

The 2 apps I deleted were a GPS location app and a live wallpaper app, IIRC.

The only way to locate which user apps or settings are causing an issue is to disable all 3rd party apps and then re-enable them one-by-one until the issue appears again.

The method to enact a cache partition wipe is in the link in my previous post to a video on how to do it, step-by-step.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 16/512GB (G998B D/S) CSC=BTU
0 Likes
CrazyTom2k2
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hey there DanTyler!

Sorry I took a while to look at your post, I've had a couple things going on this morning.

That's really weird behaviour for a week-old handset, so honestly, I'd contact the retailer where you brought the phone from and ask for a replacement. Repeated reboots can sometimes suggest a hardware problem, especially if they occur in quick succession. It could also suggest you may have further issues later on down the line.

If you do opt to replace your handset, make sure you back the handset up so you don't lose any files, and also make sure you remove your Google/Samsung accounts and perform a factory reset before you send the phone back.

Hope this helps,

Tom :smiling-face:

0 Likes