Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S20 FE 5G - Playing games prevents apps from pushing notifications, have to restart device

(Topic created on: 28-06-2022 02:16 PM)
daherlihy
Explorer
Options

Having played a game earlier, I notice after a couple of hours afterwards that I'm not getting notifications from many apps.

When my phone is restarted, either manually or automatically, the notifications all come flooding through. This is incredibly frustrating and worrying, considering that the apps include many popular ones like YouTube, Twitter and some messaging apps which I use to stay in contact with my family for urgent reasons.

I'm 99% sure this has something to do with the game optimization service, game booster and/or game launcher as its only after I play a game that this happens, even though I've troubleshooted by disabling the game optimization service via the game booster settings.

Does anyone know how this problem can be averted or fixed?

13 REPLIES 13
daherlihy
Explorer
Options

Thanks @AndrewL for keeping in touch with me on this.

Rest assured there are no such Bixby routines setup that are doing this. I do have a DND routine at night only, but the issue is intermittent without any timeline trends, plus there is no other bixby activity that would have any impact on app notifications.

I have followed your advice though on the app's Mobile Data > Allow background data usage > On (which was already on) and also Allow data usage while data saver is on > On, although please do note that the issue happens even while I'm connected to Wifi - in any case I'll see what happens from here.

0 Likes
daherlihy
Explorer
Options

@AndrewL the issue is persisting for me despite the changes you suggested. For the last 2 days I've noticed the issue occurring after leaving my house and returning some time later, i.e. network connection switched from my WiFi onto mobile data, and then vice versa.

0 Likes
daherlihy
Explorer
Options

@AndrewL I believe I've found the cause of this issue.

For almost 2 weeks now I've disabled Switch to Mobile Data in the WiFi settings and thankfully I've not experienced these intermittent app notification hogs.

Hopefully you can forward this to the appropriate department. To stress, I don't believe this has anything exclusively to do with gaming nor mobile data saving. 

Screenshot_20220628-141238_Settings.jpg

Solution
daherlihy
Explorer
Options

@AndrewL sorry to bump this thread again but I've further information on this and a more likely cause of this.

I've been monitoring this matter for a couple of months now and the issue was still occuring unfortunately, despite all the troubleshooting I've done in this thread to date.

I've since realised that the issue is now associated to my device automatically disconnecting from (leaving) a 5Ghz Wifi network zone (which has been my main Wifi network at home) and connecting automatically to a mobile data network.

To troubleshoot this, I've been manually disabling the Wifi before leaving the 5Ghz Wifi zone and allowing an immediate connection to mobile data without any further Wifi activity - this worked, but obviously it's inconvenient as sometimes I've an adhoc chore or two to do around the house hence there will always be a cavity wall and obstacles between my phone and the 5Ghz Wifi zone - I noticed that this was again causing a tug-of-war between the 5Ghz wifi and mobile data networks, and of course the app notifications issues reoccurred.

So on remembering that 2.4Ghz Wifi networks have wider ranges and better through walls, I then one day switched over to an available 2.4Ghz wifi network and on that occasion, all the app notifications came flying through.

I've since struggled to recreate this, but in any case have decided to disconnect my device from the 5Ghz Wifi altogether and stick with the 2.4Ghz Wifi - for the last few days now this appears to be working. Even when leaving the 2.4Ghz Wifi zone, the transition from the wifi network over the mobile data (and back) appears to be less problematic, if at all!

So there is the issue I believe - when the device transitions automatically between 5Ghz Wifi and mobile data, app notifications appear to be prevented from coming through on to the device. They don't get pushed to the device until the phone is restarted, or (if you're lucky enough) switching over to a 2.4Ghz wifi network.

Workaround/Solution - if the device is frequently in use in and out of the 5Ghz Wifi, it would be best not to connect to a 5Ghz wifi network. Instead connect to a 2.4Ghz wifi network.

0 Likes