Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20+ Camera app bug: HDR is always on despite option beeing off

(Topic created on: 13-07-2021 03:55 PM)
Eneen
Journeyman
Options

I've tried all camera modes and with current april update and despite of HDR option beeing off it's still applied in standard mode. It's ok only with pro and 64MP mode. Could somebody try to confirm?

I've also got S10 and same thing there.

30 REPLIES 30
KholaI
Options

Apologies, forgot to add that the HDR feature also works automatically too. But, the developers recommend taking photos with a "burst shot" (press and swipe down the Camera shutter button) for a nice photo experience too!

0 Likes
SpookyBiscuits
Apprentice
Options

But this should not be a thing regardless. Because pro mode solution as well as burst shot I do not think applies or works with the front facing camera which is where I primarily having issues with this "auto hdr" bs.  Whats the point of having an amazing camera on a phone if the software attached to it makes it unusable. 

Eneen
Journeyman
Options

Same here, no matter it's off or on, it's always applied on same level.

Taking burst mode is very inconvenient as I have to invest precious time in deleting photos. Pro mode doesn't allow to use 64MP sensor in S20+. Also normal range jpegs taken with pro mode are darker (looks like different tonemapping curve is applied), so I always need to save DNG. Jpegs from S8 always look correct in both modes and have correct dynamic range. My wife takes lots of pictures with S10 and she doesn't like pro mode as it doesn't allow to quickly change exposure with "tap and slide" and now with forced HDR lots of pictures are messed up, people have "flat faces", there are lots of dark borders visible and so on.

I really don't understand why devs just don't allow us to turn off HDR with switch. Why cripple something that was working fine? Please @KholaI, if you have access to dev team please tell them that we just need to turn HDR off with switch.

Ratzvogel
Voyager
Options

The latest update from today didnt fix anything, all the problems remain.

The statements of the "developers" I can only rate as bullshit and customer bullshit, translated: "Customer, kiss my ass". These experiences with Samsung will definitely affect my next purchase decision so that it will no longer be a Samsung.

To lie to the customer so brazenly and obviously (the setting supposedly changes the intensity of the effect, which is nonsense), combined with not wanting to acknowledge an obvious problem is a laughable impertinence.

Let's also take, for example, the setting for "what happens when you press the shutter button for a long time". You can set whatever you want, it has no effect whatsoever.

The German support team answers impudently: Yes, that's just the way it is with Android 11. Is it still working? How ignorant do you have to be to deny such blatantly obvious errors? Then simply remove the option and the problem is solved.

You obviously don't care about the wishes of your customers, which usually takes revenge after a few years and the competition on the market for Android devices has fortunately become bigger.

For me, the pro-Samsung argument used to be that the software and apps worked halfway. Now Samsung sells camera phones that you cannot take photos with. I might as well buy cheap phones from China, since there is no difference to Samsung anymore.

0 Likes
KholaI
Options

Hey @Eneen and @Ratzvogel 

Could you perhaps send a screenshot of the preview and then the actual shot, when using both the front and rear camera? Once I get these, I'll pass them onto our team who can then look into it further.

Ratzvogel
Voyager
Options

i created a whole video here: https://www.andrehotzler.de/de/blog/technology/99-warum-samsung-die-performance-probleme-in-seiner-k...

does this help`?

The problem is, that screenshots could not show the time problem created by the always working HDR function.

Today a german user wrote this via Email:

"To demonstrate the effect, in their first setting there is still a much better indication than the edge of the parasol: the cars at the back of the road. You trigger while fully visible is a passenger car, subsequently by the error you uncovered the car is no longer visible."

The video in my blog (link at the top of this post) you can see the problem clearly: The produced photo after the HDR-Rendering is later i time than the taken photo. 

And here is a photo, taken with "HDR off"

14-07-_2021_16-50-49.png

0 Likes
KholaI
Options

Thank you @Ratzvogel, these are quite helpful. I've updated the Team and I'll let you know as soon I receive more information on this.

0 Likes
Jenia_1987
Student
Options

Hello guys , i have samsung s 20 plus, exynos. With hdr on photo, there are all the same gaps that described here, even after update. And I wanted to ask about the video- my samsung constantly burns out the sky, clouds, becomes pure white.
I have a question for everyone, samsung burns out clouds and sky during the video on all s 20 plus? And how is situation on shapdragon?
If necessary, I can provide examples.
Because i shocked what sky clouds allways white, or part of clouds. I think problem in exposure.
In general allways burst cloud, become white.

0 Likes
Lh84
First Poster
Options

Yes agreed. Annoying it cannot be turned off properly. 

0 Likes
SpookyBiscuits
Apprentice
Options

I know this thread is older by now but the issue still persists and pro mode does not fix the issue with the front facing camera since its not applicable and thats where my issues mainly lies.  I love my phone in all other aspects but really considering moving away from samsung all together because of this software flaw.

0 Likes