Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

over night charging

(Topic created on: 29-01-2021 07:19 AM)
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
Does anyone have a true answer as to what the score is with overnight charging? I always used to wireless charge all night every night. However I used to upgrade every year so I didn't care. However I would like to keep my S20 longer this time and the battery is already not the best so would like it stay strong as long as possible. Does over night charging harm the battery? I know alot about phones but this issues has always puzzled me and it seems to be a matter of opinion. 
7 REPLIES 7
Solution
Braddazzz
Apprentice
Options
Overnight charging will cause no significant harm to battery life, and no problems. There are a lot of myths surrounding problems with overnight charging, but as long as you use the correct charger and follow manufacturer instructions, there should be no problems.

Firstly, your phone and charger, especially since technology has advanced, communicate with one another. When your battery reaches 100%, it sends a signal to the charger to start a "trickle charge" cycle. This basically means that the phone and charger shut off charge, and begin to send bursts of information to one another as to the status of your phone's battery. If the battery level has dropped slightly, the charge will continue, but at a trickle pace, and only for a tiny length of time, then it shuts off again. This makes impact to the battery life pretty much negligible, and also makes it impossible for your battery to overload.

Secondly, like any battery, your phone's battery begins to lose the capacity to hold its charge over a length of time. This is the same with any other battery in the world. However, in today's modern phones, this difference over the lifespan of the phone, is pretty much none existent.

Top and bottom, use your common sense:
Do not place the phone on anything soft, like a pillow or your bedsheets while charging, as the phone will heat up during this time.
Use official products, so they can communicate with one another in the correct way and gauge exactly what needs to be done. Third party products may not have correct timing on trickle charge, or may not communicate correctly at all, causing long term problems.

I have my phone overnight charging all the time and in all of this time, never have I once had a problem with overnight charging. I have always used official chargers, good quality cables, official wireless docks etc.

So, short answer, you should never have a problem with overnight charging.

Overnight charging myths debunked here:
https://uk.pcmag.com/android/92897/charging-your-phone-overnight-battery-myths-debunked
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
excellent that's just what I needed will be plugging the duo charger back in then! 👍😃
Vetri
Voyager
Options
I've been doing this since s6 days but make sure to use official accessories
0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
yea I use a samsung duo pad, as it charges my watch as well and stands the phone up so I can use as an alarm clock.
0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
cheers guys I removed it from my bedroom last night as I was worried about the battery but can plug it back in now and not worry 👍
0 Likes
nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
never charge my phone overnight. usually grab an hours worth of charging when I get home and then an hour before I go to work
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
I suppose that's another good way off doing it
0 Likes