Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One UI 3 has completely ruined Messenger notifications

(Topic created on: 21-02-2021 09:04 AM)
Bajungadustin
Apprentice
Options

So I recently upgraded from the S8+ to the Samsung S20 FE and everything is really great except this new ONE UI 3. Which has apparently just dropped the ball with this entire "conversation" system its rolled out. 

What I mean is that ONE UI 3 is now catching all notifications and presenting them differently than intended by the app developers. 

Example 1. 

146624690_275009750709728_1038927174217541726_n.jpg145019762_170323571262132_8752191786546621702_n.jpg

The left picture is what Messenger wants to show you when someone is calling you. The Right picture is what happens when One UI 3 Grabs that notification and wraps it up in its own toast notification. I say wrap because the left image can still be found here. If you tap on the notification in the right picture anywhere other than the answer or decline buttons it actually opens up the same call screen as the left image. 

This is a frustrating issue. I have missed a couple calls when my phone is on but on silent and I set it down when the screen is still on. The big change in the entire screen was a nice way to get my attention. Heck even the first time I got a call I was messing with notification sounds and wasn't sure why the Facebook messenger ringtone was playing. I thought I pressed it by accident. Then I looked up and saw the tiny notification saying I was receiving A phone call. 

This isnt even the most frustrating issue with this new system though. 

THE NEW BUBBLES SUCK.. like.. let me give you that one more time. THEY SUCK IN EVERY CONCIEVABLE WAY. 

First the center placement wasn't needed. If you want to be able to place them in the center.. whatever that's fine. But the old messenger chat head system was WAY BETTER. Having the empty white section to close all of them was also nice but that is now gone. The chat heads.... excuse me .. "Bubbles" are too small. They need to be about 25% bigger. Honestly there is no reason for them to be smaller. Its not like we are trying to watch a youtube video behind the chat head.

A lot of this is preference. I get that. Some people are like "Messenger sucks noob get a real messenger.. ah-hyuck!" Well my grandmother who is over 80 uses it and my mother, and my son, and basically my entire family. They all have facebook and it was a really convenient way to communicate with them easily which is faster and feels more connected than generic texting.

So I have my reasons for sticking with messenger but the biggest issue with this new bubble system is not a preference to the new toast wrapping and bubble head sizes.. The biggest issue is that the bubble system has its own set of notifications. For example. 

• I open a Bubble Head or whatever for a conversation with my GF
  • I then close the bubble by dragging it to the bottom.
  • I then open messenger later and send her a message NOT in a bubble
  • She replies. 

Now if you are following along.. I am actually in the conversation window right? I can see her little "Im typing something" indicator and everything. The message pops up. AND... a handy toast notification pops up telling me what she said too. You know... incase I couldnt read what she said in the actual conversation and needed that extra notification. SARCASM OVER

This is complete trash. Why would I need a notification for a conversation that I am currently looking at? The reason this is happening is because the bubbles think you are not looking at them despite the fact that you closed them.  Tapping on the notification brings you right into the conversation you were already in but doesnt clear the notification because its waiting for you to look at the bubble version of the conversation. You literally have to either swipe it off or reopen the bubble notification to clear it off.

Im really at a loss to understand how samsung dropped the ball so hard on this conversation system. It wasnt needed. Honestly its just extra fluff like the bixby button that people threw a fit over that no one used for bixby and everyone remapped to something else. 

I have tried to fix these issues but they cant be fixed. I downloaded over 20 older versions of messenger and managed to get the old chat heads back but then it wouldnt let me send images in the older versions which is just dumb it literally fixed every other issue except the first one about the calling notification but no images so i had to switch back. . So im literally waiting for samsung to fix or remove their stupid conversation system or for messenger to come out with an update to find a workaround to samsungs failure. Upgrading a phone used to be fun. This was ust disappointing.  

6 REPLIES 6
dyllan22070
Journeyman
Options
you may need to turn that feature on it comes under as "edge lighting" if you click on that the roll ball notifications should turn on hope this helps
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Why do you assume it's a Samsung issue when Messenger is not compatible with Android 11? This problem applies to other devices.

Bajungadustin
Apprentice
Options

Facebook does support android 11. They have already put out updates for android 11. One of those updates was moving towards "bubbles" instead of "chat heads" 

SO yes messenger is compatible with android 11. and has for almost a year now. 

https://www.xda-developers.com/facebook-messenger-chat-heads-switch-android-11-bubble-notifications-...

Although you might be right. It could not be a specific samsung issue and could just be an android 11 issue in general. Im not sure where the issue lies. Its not with messenger because messenger is doing what its supposed to do. Sending a notification such as message or call. somewhere in the software be it one ui 3 or android 11 in general that notification is being caught by BOTH the Bubble/conversation system AND the normal notification system. 

This can be confirmed multiple ways. First...  by receiving a message and have it shown at the top in the notification panel. That notification doesnt go away when messenger is opened but DOES go away when a bubble version of that conversation is opened. The second way is tapping on the notification that pops up during a call which is either a samsung one ui 3 or an android 11 grey notification like shown in my OP. Tapping it takes you to the correct notification. So messenger is doing the right thing but something outside the app is catching this notification and presenting it as a toast notification. Messenger cant do this on its own. 

Then there is also the pop up toast notifications that show during a conversation. Like someone messages you and you see what they wrote but also getting the toast of what they wrote also. This means android / one ui 3 is not recognizing that im actually engaged in this exact conversation. This is also something that doesnt happen if you use the bubble conversation. So the bubble system is somehow not connected appropriately to the normal notification system. This is also not a messenger system. 

0 Likes
Bajungadustin
Apprentice
Options

the only place i can find edge lighting is under brief pop-up settings. It includes edge lighting style, color by keyword, and show even when the screen is off. 

Im not sure what you mean by roll ball. 

dyllan22070
Journeyman
Options
sounds like its a issue with Facebook by roll ball i mean the notification thing like on the galaxy S10 ect.
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
In simplistic terms, it's up to the developers to make their apps work with manufacturers hardware and the Android OS. Clearly this is not the case but it would seem Google have work to do on Android 11. Check this out
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.republicworld.com/amp/technology-news/apps/android-11-issues-chat...
0 Likes