Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Notifications and System restarting/crashing the phone

(Topic created on: 20-01-2021 12:26 AM)
JWBofSwansea
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Ok to explain, today my phone got the latest software update. Not thinking I just installed it because of course I would, its an update.

But since then, tapping a notification, opening messages and even being in system too long will cause the phone, an S20, to black screen then return to the lock screen.

I can't find anything online on how to resolve this, as other crashes/restarts are based around apps, not the notifications on both the lock screen and swiping down, the text message app or system itself (either the access in apps or from the cog on swiping down). Can anyone help me? This phone cost a lot and I can't afford to just replace it in the current circumstances.

6 REPLIES 6
Pugs1957
Samsung Maker ★
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Hello Abertawe Try clearing system cache. Here's a tutorial https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s20-fe/wipe-cache/
The method has changed recently, you also need to connect to your PC by USB.
0 Likes
JWBofSwansea
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I tried to do this as you suggested to no success, I cannot even get to step two as the phone just continues to start back up regardless of button input.

0 Likes
JWBofSwansea
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I was able to access the settings and clearing the cache but the problem persists, notifications, text messages and systems continue to cause a black screen and return me to the lock screen.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Maker ★
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Can you try rebooting to safe mode and see if this persists?
0 Likes
JWBofSwansea
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I rebooted in safe mode and could access everything I couldn't before. I'm not sure what happened but I deleted free wallpapers and icon themes I downloaded, and returned out of safe mode, and the problem is now gone. Now I'm not sure how I'll get new wallpapers if that is the problem, or perhaps it was the icon theme as the UI is different in this update.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Maker ★
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Yes, some third party app was not compatible with Android 11. In safe mode no third party apps are loaded which is why the phone worked. Glad you got it sorted. That's probably going to be your only Ray of sunshine in Swansea today!
0 Likes