Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No passcode for differently able user

(Topic created on: 22-06-2022 03:26 PM)
euphorbia
Apprentice
Options

I've selected S20 here but this could apply to any series I guess. 

I want to get a new smartphone for my partner, who has been struggling with a really ancient Galaxy. It has given her years of good service but the battery is dying all the time. 

My partner has a neurological disease which makes her fingers less nimble. I have a S20 and she finds it very difficult to use -- primarily because she finds it hard to swipe the screen across and then to type in a passcode. Is is possible on a new Samsung smartphone to skip the second of these steps to give her a chance of accessing it more easily? Using a phone with no passcode would really help her.  Each step she has to do to get into a phone makes it tough for her to even use a smartphone even though she is actually technically adept and understands technology way better than I do.

Many thanks for reading this and any replies.

Take care. 

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Biometric unlock is available on modern phones either by fingerprint or face recognition. however, both occasionally require a PIN/Password/Pattern login for security reasons. So while it won't completely get around the issue it will minimise it for her. I unlock my mobile via fingerprint reader on the power button apart from the once every 7 days it wants my PIN for example. I believe the current S22 have fingerprint recognition in the screen? Either way, if my mid-range phone can do it then it's worth investigating what phones you have been considering for her have.
euphorbia
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for such a full reply. I am not entirely convinced the fingerprint recognition will work because my phone has enough trouble identifying mine and frequently times out. Facial recognition is a possibility but I don't know if it will be any more reliable as I haven't tried it. 

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
If all else fails what about using a stylus? could she grip a chunky handled rubber or felt tip stylus and use that?
euphorbia
Apprentice
Options

That may help, thank you. I think we could try that on my phone and see how it works for signing in. 

0 Likes