Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Mute linked to volume slider

(Topic created on: 02-05-2020 12:26 AM)
bowenarrow
Apprentice
Options

Hi, just wondering if there is a way to have mute linked to my volume slider. With my previous pixel 2, I could take the volume to vibrate only, then I would press again and it would enter mute. Mute is an option but only if I go to settings-sounds and vibrations then it is there as a check option. Just very convent of I don't want sound or vibration. Thanks. 

15 REPLIES 15
Solution
AntS
Options

Hi @bowenarrow , :smiling-face:

Yep, volume slider only switches between 'sound' and 'vibrate' on my UK S10 too.

I've made a suggestion for our R&D team to see if we can get 'mute' added. We'll let you know how it goes. :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

bowenarrow
Apprentice
Options

Hey, thanks for the reply. Sounds like a small silly issue but I put my phone on mute every night otherwise it buzzes through the night which keeps my wife awake. So having to go into the settings is nowhere near as convenient as simply one more press from mute on the slider. 

Thanks for putting it into the R&D suggestions. 

AntS
Options

No worries. :smiling-face:

And lol. Indeed. I can imagine there's a few scenarios where it'd be a useful feature to have. :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

AntS
Options

@bowenarrow , Just had a thought. You should be able to select the various sound/vibrate/modes through pulling down the Notification/Quick panel too. On my S10:

Volume01.JPG

Volume02.JPG

(You can change the button order too: pull down the Notification panel > 3 dots (menu) > Button order > press & hold the relevant function > drag and drop to where you want it.)

Should be easier for you to adjust than going through the Settings each time.

bowenarrow
Apprentice
Options

Oh, so there is. Thanks for that, that is much easier! 

0 Likes
juve1897x
First Poster
Options

Still should be included on the rocker. Almost every phone I've used has something like this available. Pixel has it when you volume down past vibrate and the OnePlus line has a dedicated toggle (similar to that on the iPhone). I feel it's a pretty easy win...

AntS
Options

I'd have thought so too, but the developers didn't see things the same way:

"The mute button is available in Quick Panel, which needs one swipe down gesture from the top edge of screen. That is not much more interaction than pressing the Volume key. Adding shortcut to Volume rocker also could raise complaints from users who don't use mute button frequently.

For UX design perspective, we are focusing on getting rid of intrusive elements in screen of OneUI."

In other words, adding the mute functionality to the rocker doesn't add enough benefit to offset the drawback of potential mistaken adjusting of volume rather than muting.

0 Likes
SuperDave010
Apprentice
Options

The real question isn't what's to be gained, it's why did they choose to *remove* functionality that users of Galaxy phones have had all along for no good reason.  Also - bumping the volume rocker vs. unlocking phone, swiping down, hitting the mute button, and turning phone back off?  That's a legitimate difference.  

bowenarrow
Apprentice
Options
Yep, sure is. But not when you're a developer that takes suggestions personally and has to rationalise to feel like you've answers the question.
0 Likes