Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Lost 3k+ worth of photos while transferring to SD card

(Topic created on: 04/01/21 12:43)
charlie_48
Observer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hi! I lost 3k+ worth of photos from my DCIM folder (internal storage) after transferring it to my SD card. I found the folder where I put the photos but it was empty. I exited the folder to try to find the photos again on the gallery and Samsung file but then I couldn't locate the folder anymore. To make things worse, some of the photos from other folders became corrupted.

Please help. Thank you.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Pugs1957
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
The problem is using the transfer command for that amount if data. You should always copy and paste in case things go wrong. Unless you have these backed up elsewhere, they are gone.
0 Likes
charlie_48
Observer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Thanks for the reply. Sorry but i have to ask, so there is no way to recover those photos at all? I was transferring to the SD card as a form of back up then I was planning to transfer it to a hard drive.

0 Likes
pete007
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
google pictures and Dropbox back up all files on my phone. no reason to try and transfer files by cable
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Unfortunately, no.When using transfer, files go to RAM, phone can't handle the massive task, stops the process and anything in RAM is gone. You could try a recovery program but to recover any data, your phone needs to be rooted which means loss of warranty as Knox gets triggered meaning secure folder, banking apps etc will no longer work.
0 Likes
Shazzkid
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Try a file recovery tool. Although the photos have been deleted they haven't actually been removed from the flash storage, its just marked those areas as empty/writable. A good recovery tool can show you all those files that are marked as deleted but haven't yet been overwritten.
In addition, if a seperate folder had become corrupted on the sd card, then it means your sd card is failing
0 Likes
Abu789
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
To Transfer photos you have to go to the developer options and go to usb configuration and choose transfer files
0 Likes