Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

Google Voice Typing is not working after recent Android update.

(Topic created on: 24-01-2022 02:02 AM)
lemonjoyce
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Google Voice Typing is not working after recent Android update.

I use English language on my S20+. Before the update i can use Cantonese on my Google Voice Typing, even my keyboard setting is only set as 'English''.
After the update, the Google Voice Typing can only understand English, I tried to go into the setting, add new language, I cannot see Cantonese as an option anymore.

And if I click ''Default Language'' under Language, Cantonese is shown as an option but there have no 'save' or 'ok' button after I have checked the box. (Please see attached)

271961720_229837542666223_5841620062222898736_n.jpg 271946453_1034863230576799_8993706518926130347_n.jpg No Save or OK buttonNo Save or OK button

I also see that in Setting, Keyboard list and default, have an option ''Google Voice Typing [Legacy], which was not there before the update. (Please see attached).

Please help if you know any solution, I can speak Cantonese, but I cannot type it, so this dictication method is very useful and necessary for me. Thank you.

  271916150_1079275152897688_835401616139226955_n.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Noosiekins
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I managed to get the old version back! I went into Google play, looked up "Speech Services by Google" Go in there and hit "uninstall". Then hit the ... and from there, un check "enable auto-update".

Restart your phone and the old version of voice typing will come back and the "Legacy" is no longer on the phone :smiling-face:

View solution in context

50 REPLIES 50
TessM
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hi @lemonjoyce ,

As you've mentioned that you've tried pretty much everything, could you let me know what you've tried so I can provide you with any steps you may have missed?

I would recommend sending an error report in the Samsung Members app, so our engineers can get a better understanding of this. To do this, head into the Samsung Members app> Get help> Error reports> Select a category and fill the box with a brief description of what is happening after reproducing the issue. Remember to add some screenshots of the issue or a video displaying this.

Once this is sent off, our colleagues will get in touch with more information once an engineer reviews your query.

vkinhk
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have exactly the same issue. Very frustrating as it actually unusable.l

lemonjoyce
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hi Tess, as I have mentioned in my post, I have tried whatever I can and understand already.

I have contacted Samsung call support, even let them remote my phone but still no luck. The support said will look into it with technician/ energineer and get back IF any solution.

vkinhk
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

A short term solution is to use Google's GBoard keyboard app - the voice correctly works.

lemonjoyce
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Ya that's exactly what I am using now after wasted a whole weekend and tons of times to find a solution. 

Members_jgMNRdO
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

+1 upvote. same problem here on S21

R0M3KR3NV4Y
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have the exact same problem. Very, very frustrating. No way to select or add another language besides English. Please fix this. Using Samsung S20.

Pailin
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have same problem like you  After updated I can't use Thai voice typing option too. cause my phone( Note10 light) default languge is Korean but  when I use voice option I usually use Thai  but it doesn't work after update!!!

William W
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have the same issue on my Galaxy S20, after the oneui4 update.

Found a workaround that worked -- in settings go to "Keyboard list and default" , then disable "Google Voice Typing" (i.e. the one that shows all languages but won't let you save), and make sure "Google voice Typing [Legacy]" is enabled.

That worked for me.