Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google search problem

(Topic created on: 30-08-2021 10:59 AM)
Sidjames
Journeyman
Options
Wondering if anyone else has this problem and has a fix.
When I type in Google search after I type the 1st letter, there is a delay and new screen pops up before I can finish typing word.
This question has been asked several time in Google community but no real answers have come.

Btw this only happens on this phone all other phones I own don't have this problem.

Thanks
22 REPLIES 22
AndrewL
Options

@Sidjames: Are you using the dedicated Google app? If so, head to the Play Store and check for any available updates that might resolve the issue. If the issue persists, go to Settings > Apps > Google > Storage > Clear Cache, then restart your phone to see if this helps. 

Kris G
Voyager
Options

define 'google search', is it a browser? a widget? something else?
what keyboard do you use? Samsung keyboard, google keyboard, something else?
and what is the new screen that pops up?

239086084_376975847288713_3424251017571524474_n.jpg

Huawei P8, Mate10Pro, P40Pro;
Samsung S20Ultra;
Xiaomi MiNote10;
Sidjames
Journeyman
Options
Hi AndrewL
I tried clearing the Cache but did not clear the problem, I have contacted Samsung and they have just said the same.
0 Likes
Sidjames
Journeyman
Options
Hi Kris G
It's from the Google search bar widget.
I have tried G Board (default) Samsung keyboard, SwiftKey but all the same.
The problem occurs if I close Google as a background app and then when phone gos to sleep and I wake the screen up and click the search bar it flicks once first letter is typed to the Google search it as soon as first letter is typed it flick to the Google search again but back to the first letter before I can even type the second letter.
But if I leave the app running in the background it's fine.
Same can't post a screen recording would be more easy to see than explain lol
Kris G
Voyager
Options

Screenshot_20210823-142040_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20210823-141820_One UI Home.jpgSo one one of the screens you can see my settings for the 'Google' app, and there are many, also Google services, anyway, it uses no resources while it's allowed to run in the background. If that is still not your thing, on the other screen I have the search widget by Chrome, it goes straight to the browser if you type anything in there. Of course it is a Google app, so maybe it will behave same as the default Google widget....who knows, but I guess it's an option. To add the chrome search widget, just tap and hold on the chrome icon and there will be an option as 'widgets' . Other than that I would allow Google to run in background 🤔

Samsung S20Ultra;
Xiaomi MiNote10;
0 Likes
Sidjames
Journeyman
Options
Hi have fiddled around and it's seems it's power saving mode that causing the problem, just means I can't have it on other wise the problem comes back again.
Have tried to place Google and chrome into the Background usage limits and never sleep but that makes no difference when it's in power saving mode.

Well that seems to be the fix, thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Kris G
Voyager
Options

well, i did not consider the power saving mode, bcoz it's always 'on' on my phones, only for some geo tracking apps i can't be on power saving else it turns off the GPS if on stand by;

i guess you found the solution mostly by yourself, i also will remember the thing with power saving if some problems occur on my side;

on Huawei and Xiaomi phones i can choose the apps, where the selected apps are not on battery saver while the rest is, as seen on the screenshots, but on Samsung it doesn't say that the selected apps will be unaffected by power saving: Screenshot_20210823-233303_Settings.jpg

Samsung S20Ultra;
Xiaomi MiNote10;
0 Likes
Sidjames
Journeyman
Options
Strange update on the situation...
My son has the same phone Galaxy S20 ultra and I seen him for the first time in ages so I looked at his phone as the problem does not eccext his phone.

Anyway I can not have the phone in powering mode without the problem happening anymore, all I need to do is put the phone in Dark mode and the problem goes away.

So it must be a software issues on some smaung phones as I remember it was not always like this on my phone it must have start after one of the few updates we have had.

So Dark Mode removes the problem completely..
Go figure on that lol
Kris G
Voyager
Options

dark mode is the solution 😂 seriously, Samsung degraded with the quality of their products so much, that I wonder if the company won't go bankrupt anytime soon.

Samsung S20Ultra;
Xiaomi MiNote10;
0 Likes