Original topic:

Galaxy S20 Camera noise reduction too aggressive

(Topic created on: 07/06/20 09:50)
P_A_
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hi,

there are a few posts that related to some camera issues on the Galaxy smartphones like the missing pro mode for the ultrawide and telephoto lenses. I would like to ask if there is any possibility to let the users at least take some sort of control of how the pictures are edited by the software.

Main "problems" are (as stated by many on forums and videos) the very aggressive sharpening in combination with a noise reduction filter that results in a huge loss in picture quality and dark area information. 

So there is my suggestion: Is it possible to give the user an option to lessen or even disable the smoothing and sharpness software editing for all cameras? That could be implemented with a slider similar to the one controlling the smoothness filter on the selfie cam. I am looking forward to your replies.

Kind regards

P_A_

Pascalis Arvantas

Link to a youtube video that shows the issue:

https://youtu.be/Yixfk5c9974

4 REPLIES 4
bsmar
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

agree, it would be nice to have more flexibility in image post-processing 

Saminvent
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Completely agree, very disappointed so far with how Samsung are completely limiting the potential of what is their flagship smartphone marketed almost solely around the "pro" camera capabilities. It's crazy that we don't have some way of saving in RAW format for all lenses, like we can in PRO mode for just for the one lens. Samsung are basically making this feature even more of a necessity by the insane amount of over-sharpening. The images also appear quite over-saturated at times. As the old saying goes, a happy customer will tell one or two people, an unhappy customer will tell ten. The hardware appears to be incredibly capable, so why are Samsung refusing to offer features Huwei have for years and that would be very easy to implement. At least a bit of progress in this direction would be appreciated by many Samsung users.

Tinypocket
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

S10 has this same issue and was a downgrade from the S8 which did not have this problem. Was searching before buying the S20 to see if this was fixed. Looks like no so need to find a different phone. 😞 Samsung are you listening?

Viktor_Lazslo
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

The digital sharpening of some, even most of the photos ruins them. Its amazingly disappointing. Thankfully they haven't figured out a way at Samsung to ruin videos the same way yet. maybe on the 2021 model they will. 

MANY of the photos I have taken with the S20 are so digitally sharpened they look like German pointalist drawings but with very sharp crayons.

There HAS to be a way to turn this off. They need to add that non-feature to an update. I really should have remembered not to buy a Samsung after my Galaxy 7 had the battery nearly explode and cracked the phone from expansion. If memory serves I even had to pay for part of the repair.

0 Likes