Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downsides to replacing battery on 3 year old S20?

(Topic created on: 22-01-2023 06:30 AM)
Koopaspin
First Poster
Options

I've had my S20 for just under 3 years and I still love it. The battery is losing its charge quicker now, and I can't see any must-have features for myself personally on the newer ones. If I have the battery replaced, will I still be good to use it for another couple of years? I'm wondering if I'm neglecting something when considering this option. Any downsides to it, please let me know!

Thanks.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
The only reason to consider I think would be the security updates will stop before the 2 more years are up. As far as anything else, I think you'd be good to go. The system overall (RAM, storage....) would definitely be able to keep up.
Lack of security updates certainly wouldn't stop me from using the phone for a further year or two.
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Koopaspin 

Many do opt to have the battery replaced due to wear and tear which is fine as long as the work is carried out by a Samsung Service Centre as then oem batteries will be used , and the utmost care taken when carrying out the work.

Seals will be intact.

I've known in the past that people have decided to use an unauthorised repair shop and on occasion an inferior battery / part has been fitted / used which can cause ensuing problems along with other issues introduced such as accidental damage inside, and dust integration.

I'm not trying to be negative about all repair houses as I'm sure some take pride in their work, and use good parts.

If a phone was still under the Samsung Manufacturers Warranty then I'd strongly suggest to only use a Samsung Service Centre as unauthorised work will invalidate the warranty.

I appreciate this does not affect your phone as it will be out of warranty although if you ever do want Samsung to work on the phone theybmay decline if unauthorised work has been carried out.

As @Bigtasty65 has mentioned 👍 an older phone will eventually not receive software updates although I've known some still receive security patches still.

One would have to weigh up the cost of the work in replacing the battery and any relevant parts to the cost of the actual phone too.

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "