Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Don't buy Samsung Galaxy s20 Ultra if you are trying to make film and movies

(Topic created on: 20/12/20 10:09)
pejochto
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

S20 Ultra, highly marketed with features and functions and not to say the amazing results in movie and photos. But as always when a hardware companies ego wants every part of the cake by themselves, Customers suffer. They never live up to customer needs or worse, they don't even care if the applications are halfway meeting customer experience, they simply stop the competitors by restricting access to hardware features, so that no one but themselves can use these specifications. This is the same with Samsung Galaxy s20 Ultra. Nothing that separates this smartphone from the other brands regarding camera functions, can be accessed from Apps not made by Samsung themselves. You can't use the Samsung S20 Ultra in Europe with Cinematic settings without every light blinking like epileptic disco lights. For you who understand more about filmmaking than Samsung App developers do, know that the electricity in Europe is 50hz. Therefore you need to record in framerates, divided or multiplied with 50. Most common 25fps, 50fps or 100fps.

That setting is not even possible in Samsung native Camera App!!!

Guess what frequency they have in South Korea? Yes 60hz, and as a result of that there are only settings for fps divided from 60, 30fps, 60fps, 120fps, 240fps. They might think that the world is Korea and USA?

And of course they've heard of Hollywood and have 24fps, but just as a value they don't actually know why there should be 24fps, because the shutter speed can't be set to 1/48s in order to get that filmic motion blur. But you can set it to 1/45s???

Just a quick look at YouTube on ”how to get a cinematic look” will reveal that there is a thumbrule that you should have shutter speed aprox. double the value of fps if you want to get that motion blur that is similar to the eye. 

And in Samsungs thrive to be the One and Only Smartphone maker with their own apps for everything, we customers are suffering from settings and functions that we actually we can use in practical terms, we need to wait for the Samsung developers to learn that there is a world that camera setting is depending on how you want the final result to look, and that there are electricity differences that affects final results depending on the shutter speed. I hear you say: "But there are third party Apps like FilmicPro", Answer: "Yes, but Samsung developers don´t want no one to be better than themselves on their own smartphone, somthey block ALL third applications to access features that Samsung phones have as features, that you and I buy them for." Sad but true. I hope that there will be some protest storm about this *****ical behavior. We pay a lot for the phones but are restricted to what they will let us to use.

There will be no Christmas movies this year, because of the lack of settings and parameters in my home, every Christmas light is flickering and blinking. THANK YOU FOR THAT SAMSUNG CAMERA APP DEVELOPERS

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
Pugs1957
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
You need to remember, the S20 is a phone so there will be compromises. If you want to do the job properly use the right tools, not a phone. BTW, there is nothing preventing the installation of Third Party apps, I don't know why you think otherwise.
0 Likes
pejochto
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Yes, of course I'll keep that in mind, and I know that for real professional reasons you should by another type of equipment. But the truth is that Apple has opened up their Camera API and that has resulted in that the third party App developers can develop great Apps for the camera, and provide features and functions that are specific to filming and cinematic recording. yes of course you can install third party apps, but they will all have restrictions made by Samsung which features and functions they let them access. For instance Filmic Pro that is the primary App for film/cinema makers, they can’t access 8K video recording, telelens, they can't control the camera or have access to do so, so everything had to be done with workarounds and/or disabled. I expect when I buy a piece of hardware that they don’t restrict my use of the technology that I have paid for, at least when the don't have the slightest knowhow regarding framerates and shutter speed, and how they interact, and the consequences. And most important, why the different framerates exists. And why should they? BUT let them who have the knowledge about those things develop apps to keep customers satisfied with the combo of superior hardware with superior App. For instance, frame rate and shutter speed on smartphone, there is no shutter, they simply shut the CMOS sensor on/off, completely done from the Applikation, but since Samsung restrict this, ALL third-party developers need to listen to the Samsung interface and build them around their restrictions. I used to have a Iphone but got tired of all their restrictions for the developers, so I switched to Android(Samsung), But today Apple is more open that Samsung is. Perhaps there are other Brands with Android that realize that in 2020 the way forward is working closely with customers and their needs and demands, and use Customer Experience as triggers for how they develop new applications and services. Samsung is going the opposite direction, increasing restrictions, keep competitors away with secret API:s that they don't share, don't listen to customers and thinks that customers are satisfied with the provided Apps that they think is good enough for us. But I hope that this will be more and more noticed and that there will be a raising proteststorm around this subject.

0 Likes