Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display brightness dims after few minutes at direct sun because of overheating

(Topic created on: 24-05-2021 09:59 AM)
komis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra and after a few minutes at direct sun and the screen becomes unusable. Can't see anything in order to take a photo. My son has an 150 euro priced mobile phone (amoled) of a competitive Chinese company and the screen at direct sun is so bright (1200nits). That's a shame for a premium phone that advertises 1400 nits (peak).

I understand its a software configuration maybe to handle battery drain because of overheating etc but Samsung should give the option to the user to disable it and to be able to use 100% of the brightness.

Of course I have made ALL the possible configurations to help with the problem and nothing worked. Does the snapdragon version have the same issue ? Can the phone be replaced with a Snapdragon model.

I bought the phone because of the camera quality but if I cannot see anything to take the photo whats the point.

22 REPLIES 22
Members_1lef2zI
First Poster
Options

Exactly the same problem S20 fe 5g. Mine and my wifes phone. After a minute or so you cant see anything.shame on you samsung

0 Likes
Members_m7BIYjd
First Poster
Options

Fe 21 5g same issue. The birghtness is set to 100%, but the phone dims itself in sunlight. But not even in direct one and it's not even hot. 

This is extremely annoying!!!

0 Likes
Members_IpThRri
Student
Options

S20 FE 5G here. Same problem. A few minutes in the sun (I live in Germany) are enough and the phone dimms the screen to about 50%. Since this obviously  is"it's not a bug, it's a feature" Samsung will do absolutely nothing about this but telling us to put the phone in a cooler place 

My other phones don't have that "feature".

This definitely was my last Samsung.

Options

I finally upgraded from my old Samsung Galaxy S9 last week- and this one issue is why I’ve gone back to the dark side and bought an iPhone 13 Pro. 

I’m an outdoors person, living in the subtropics in Australia. If my phone can’t deal with 28'C sunshine, it’s not my phone!

0 Likes
komis
Explorer
Options

Here in Greece temps go beyond 33+ at summer time. Only imagine how annoying it is. It prevents basic phone functionality like read/write a text or take a photo. For example I would understand in order to prevent battery overheating lowering CPU performance and not be able to run cpu intensive procedures. But not to make the screen unreadable. This is not an option guys. Or to say it in a better way give us the option to handle screen brightness even if that means reducing other features.    

komis
Explorer
Options

After last update I have seen great improvement. I believe the screen now  operates at about 75% of the brightness at direct sun and temps above 30 Celsius. Can you crosscheck ? I can finally take photos and read text without problem. 

Screenshot_20220718-121224_Software update.jpg

0 Likes
Luketr
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem. I cant fly my DJI drone because I cant see the screen. Today I went to a spectecular place to take some drone footage but I couldnt since I couldnt see anything on the screen.

0 Likes
efi99
Explorer
Options
  1. Install the App "Alliance Shield X" in Play Store.

2. Open the App, create an account and gain access to everything the app demands.

3. Click on "App Manager" and search for "Samsung Device Health Manager Service"

4. Click on this entry and choose the "activity" tab

5. There you choose the 2nd entry and select "open"

6. Enable "Brightness limit off" and "CP TM off"

Now your screen won't decrease its brightness by itself. Keep in mind that your screen/device can get very warm. Once again, do this at your own risk. I am not sure if the OLED screen can get damaged by the temperatures it might reach.

roryh86
Pioneer
Options

You're a BOSS. That worked perfectly. What does CP TM Off do and do you know what it stands for?

0 Likes
Sergio136
First Poster
Options

Hello, I did everything u said, but when I click open it does nothing, it doesn't open, and if I click disable it says "Unable to complete action".. maybe I need root?

0 Likes