Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display brightness dims after few minutes at direct sun because of overheating

(Topic created on: 24-05-2021 09:04 PM)
komis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra and after a few minutes at direct sun and the screen becomes unusable. Can't see anything in order to take a photo. My son has an 150 euro priced mobile phone (amoled) of a competitive Chinese company and the screen at direct sun is so bright (1200nits). That's a shame for a premium phone that advertises 1400 nits (peak).

I understand its a software configuration maybe to handle battery drain because of overheating etc but Samsung should give the option to the user to disable it and to be able to use 100% of the brightness.

Of course I have made ALL the possible configurations to help with the problem and nothing worked. Does the snapdragon version have the same issue ? Can the phone be replaced with a Snapdragon model.

I bought the phone because of the camera quality but if I cannot see anything to take the photo whats the point.

22 REPLIES 22
Kris G
Voyager
Options

i noticed that google maps in dark mode will have less contrast on S20Ultra than on my other phones, this makes it harder to see the map itself, the problem is not the phone or the screen, the problem is the optimization of the app for this phone series, in other apps it seems to be solved better

Huawei P8, Mate10Pro, P40Pro;
Samsung S20Ultra;
Xiaomi MiNote10;
0 Likes
komis
Explorer
Options

I don't use dark modes and my problem is when I read text in white backgrounds and at use of the camera. At dark modes is completely unusable under direct sun. I believe Samsung should give the option of 100% brightness at all times.

Kingfisher344
Navigator
Options
It could also be possible to the "Adaptive" brightness. Bring down the notification from the top. Should see it there or search for it.
0 Likes
komis
Explorer
Options

I have the technical knowledge and I have already tried all the possible solutions simple ones (remove case etc) or advanced (all possible configuration settings combinations). The conclusion is that the phone dims automatically the brightness even if it is at 100% (no adaptive) when is over heating. This means a few minutes under the direct sun where I live. It is very annoying because I can hardly see to take a photo or read text outside

Kris G
Voyager
Options

so let me get this straight, the sun shines so extremely on the phone that it overheats, but the sun does nothing to you, and yet you go out into that deadly sunlight to read text?

you are an interesting person

Samsung S20Ultra;
Xiaomi MiNote10;
0 Likes
komis
Explorer
Options

Well I can handle fine at 28 Celsius at direct sun but the phone obviously can't because it dims the brightness to handle the heat. Don't you read your text messages outside ? Thats interesting ...  as I said before I can hardly see to take a proper photo. And I prefer taking photos outside taking a walk. 

Kris G
Voyager
Options

well i do read messages, which takes few seconds, but it's very rare for me to stop for reading messages and to do that on a hot summer day where is no shadow;
besides anything beyond 20*C will bring me to melt, so unless i walk somewhere i would try to escape direct contact with any sunlight

Samsung S20Ultra;
Xiaomi MiNote10;
0 Likes
komis
Explorer
Options

Well everyone has it's own characteristics and habits. But the case here is why not to be able to use 100% of screen brightness outside. Samsung should have handle that better. I believe it is a software configuration issue and can easily be handled with a future  update. At first 2 minutes under sun everything works just fine and bright. After that it dims to unpleasant levels and keeps warming. These screen panels are advertised with high nits peak for that exact reason to be readable outside.  

Options

Have the exact same problem with my Galaxy S9.  Here in Australia I'm often outdoors and it's often sunny and over 28'C - like right now for example. All the auto-dim settings are off, it's "100%" brightness but the display has clearly dimmed to the point where it's nearly impossible to read.

0 Likes