Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Default Homepage in Browser

(Topic created on: 25/12/20 20:40)
walkerx
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
I've noticed that my mobile operator has set their web page as the default home page, even though I have not given them permission to do so and they have overwritten what I had it set to.

Is there a way to reset the default homepage back to what it was without having to use the custom homepage and is there a way to block my mobile operator from doing this in the future.

I never got my phone from them so I don't want them to have any authorisation to brand my phone with their settings within apps.

They should only be allowed to set the APN and stuff for call and data routing, seeing they never contributed to the cost of my mobile itself.

So does anyone know how to block them from rewriting settings within apps.

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14
pickmybrain
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
open your Samsung Internet browser > settings> homepage and select custom page.
0 Likes
ironass
Troubleshooter
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

That is so irritating on carrier branded firmware.

Assuming that you are using the stock Samsung Internet browser, go to...

Internet > Menu (3 bar, hamburger menu, bottom right) > Settings  > Homepage > Custom page.. change it to what you like

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 16/512GB (G998B D/S) CSC=BTU
0 Likes
walkerx
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
yes I know you can change it to what I want using the custom setting. but I can't reset the default back to what it was originally (non operator homepage)

But I'm annoyed that a carrier has enforced their branding on my device when not purchased from them but directly from Samsung on sim free unlocked and no contract.
if I had purchased from operator I would understand but to apply their branding onto a phone not from them in my view is unacceptable
0 Likes
ironass
Troubleshooter
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

What CSC code is your device on?

Go to... Settings > About phone > Software information > Service provider software version... (3 letter code, see screenshot)

XBl2FCy.png

0 Likes
walkerx
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
the CSC code is BTU

at least they ain't done what they done with my Huawei phone and fully rebranded including bootloader
0 Likes
ironass
Troubleshooter
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

BTU = stock unbranded firmware for the U.K. which I am on. So it is not Samsung forcing this on you but your carrier via your SIM card. I know it is not EE because they are my carrier on a BTU CSC code and they have not done that on my unbranded firmware. 

I am guessing that even if you installed, say, Google Chrome, your carrier would hijack the Homepage as they used to do in the old Nokia days. 

I can only but suggest that you contact whoever your carrier is and make your feelings known. 

walkerx
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
yes it three uk and I've queried it with them as they should not do it in my view. now waiting their response.

yes I left ee years ago due to pricing and not being able to set limits, but think may go back when contracts end seeing they've changed pricing etc
0 Likes
ironass
Troubleshooter
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I agree with you walkerx. Three U.K. and other carriers should not hijack their customers browser homepage without their permission.

Their reply, I guess, will be along the lines that it is easy enough to change and that lots of their customers find that a Three homepage is very useful. It also means they can channel your browsing. Good luck in getting them to change this underhand procedure. 

0 Likes
walkerx
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
hoping I've resolved so going to monitor to ensure they don't reapply the settings as also done it on my tab s6 lte which was also purchased direct from Samsung.

I've had to remove sim cards and wipe cache/data for both chrome and Samsung Internet. Next reboot devices without sim in then power off and reinsert sim.

so far back to defaults and non three configuration

update: that didn't last long, three have over written settings again
0 Likes