Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Camera resolution - I can't find a way to change photo resolutions

(Topic created on: 19-05-2022 08:58 AM)
NigeE
Apprentice
Options

Can anyone tell me how to change the photo resolution on the Samsung Galaxy S20+?

I simply cannot find a way to do this! When I search for this I find lots of results showing how very easy it is to do, by just going into the camera, selecting the settings and then choosing a photo resolution. The problem is, whilst that option might've been there in the past, it's not there now! I just cannot find any way to select the resolution for photos I take (and I therefore can't control much space they'll use).

The settings must have changed with a software update, but where are they now? This sort of thing should be easy!

79 REPLIES 79
ykmblr
Journeyman
Options

Lets set basics right - resolution from 4000 px to 800px to save a pic for web , whatsapp is not same as changing form factor  . You are traveling on a wrong track.   No one can save normal pic as 128KB or 256KB size with built in app.  Earlier the app was good. Some dumb programmers have removed that option.  Samsung will lose market share and no phones can be popular with this issue. 

0 Likes
ykmblr
Journeyman
Options

You are right .

Most moderators are closing it , saying solved. They do not understand aspect ratio vs resolution, then these folks should not be supporting camera issues. 

M30 M31 has same issue . NO ONE can save any picture in kilo byte size or 800 px type of resolution.   The bulletin board so called experts are actiing as novice here. 

0 Likes
ykmblr
Journeyman
Options

AndrewL , that  would be a stupid solution since world of whatsapp and every image editor can save and edit jpg ... not HEIF which is more of video format.  Just by putting a new jargon,  you seems to have not understood the issue.  

Simply said " any photo clicked occupies 2.5 MB & above on internal device memory and there is no option to save images as few kilo bytes" .  This has issues for recipient, transfer , device to cloud, cloud storage and everywhere m whatsapp memory buldging ..." . Your answer does not meet any requirements of end user.  

Do basic reading about the issue. 

0 Likes
brunoosti
Journeyman
Options

I know it's not optimal, but there you go. The simpler best free app to solve this (though not the first option on google play). You can even override original files making it as practical as possible: 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mp4android.photoresizerhd

Also, Cram (paid), that has an automatic compression (but not resize) feature as soon as you take a pic (it's bugging with my s21 FE, unfortunately): 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.accusoft.thinpic

0 Likes
Ady212
First Poster
Options

The first fix you can also do straight out of gallery, you tap the edit button on a photo and resize.  

Denis Droppa
First Poster
Options

This is ridiculous. First Samsung does away with headphone jacks, and now we have no way of setting picture resolution. Fast losing confidence in this brand.

CurlyBlonde
Explorer
Options

If there's no way to bring that setting back for us to be able to switch between different resolutions, can we use a previous samsung camera apk from let's say android 11 before they implemented this filth with the aspect ratio ?

CaptainW
Journeyman
Options
Why hanker after Samsung app? Install "Opencamera" app free from play store and use that instead - solves the whole problem.
rafiomi
Student
Options

It helps!! I don't understand if they can implement this feature in gallery mode why they removed it from camera app!

0 Likes
SAVVYSCLUTTER
Pioneer
Options
I want to sometimes reduce photo size to 0.3 MP and video to 480p or less for uploading to my website. Please add this feature.
0 Likes