Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera not working - focus not working post update.

(Topic created on: 05-10-2021 02:24 PM)
thewisejanitor
Apprentice
Options
Samsung galaxy S20 ultra, currently completely up to date on all software updates. Samsung camera app is version 11.0.03.21.

Since my previous phone update and now unable to 'downgrade to old software because of updates to the security policy' I'm in a situation where my camera consistently can't focus on close and infinite objects. It's pot luck if a shot can focus at all. The camera cannot focus on qr codes or a landscape in the distance. Mid range shots seem to be OK.

I have reset the app, cleared the cache, removed any new apps that may cause conflict, but basically it's stopped working since the last update. I have a pending ticket, but still waiting for support. 

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Does anyone have any work arounds?

I have not factory reset my phone yet because I'm not spending hours resetting, updating & reinstalling a phone due to an update error.

This camera was the sole reason I jumped ship from Sony and now I'm coming to regret that decision.

Adam
8 REPLIES 8
PaulStone
Voyager
Options
I heard that was a hardware fault of that model phone. They fixed it with the note 20 ultra upwards. Not saying that's the absolute cause I just know of that issued related to that model.
0 Likes
thewisejanitor
Apprentice
Options
Thanks for letting me know. Let's hope that it isn't the case and that it's software!
0 Likes
Ventor
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@thewisejanitor Hello, you could also try to Clear data in the Storage of the Camera app. From Camera Settings there is an option Reset camera settings, try it and comment, greetings.

"The quieter you become-the more you are able to hear..."

0 Likes
PaulStone
Voyager
Options
No problem . Fingers crossed for you. Maybe have a little Google search on the subject. Might be some solutions or work around using different camera apps maybe?.
thewisejanitor
Apprentice
Options
Thanks for this bit of advice. I had done it previously, but revisited it again with your advice and desperation.

Doing it again allowed me to realise that it was the 1x lens was not working and then lead me down the rabbit hole to...
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s20-series/samsung-galaxy-s20-ultra-1-0x-camera-shivering...

..within this thread @smileysam suggested 'Open phone in recovery mode and clear partition cache.' and boom it's all sorted for now!

Thanks for your gentle steering!
0 Likes
thewisejanitor
Apprentice
Options
All sorted now thanks... long winded but sorted. My work around is explained below. Thanks for your help though. Bloody phones and updates, but chuffed the community is here for help!
0 Likes
PaulStone
Voyager
Options
Oh great I'm pleased for you. I know phones can be stressful huh. Lol.
0 Likes
thewisejanitor
Apprentice
Options
So after a few days the problem has reoccurred with none of the above solutions working anymore Lazily I have sat on this for a while now and finally got around to doing the dreaded factory reset, and after executing this morning, the problem is still here with the lens not working. Let's see what Samsung customer service can do... I'm very very disappointed in my Samsung phone and regret switching from the Sony Xperia range.
0 Likes