Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth can't connect with Win 10 laptop although paired

(Topic created on: 10-02-2022 07:42 PM)
onlytanmoy
Pioneer
Options

Hiya, subject of this post basically. Even though I have paired my Dell Win 10 laptop with my S20 FE 5G via BT but when I try to connect by tapping on the paired device name from mobile BT settings, it says can't connect 😞 Any known fix to this?

42 REPLIES 42
Members_zokAlPt
Student
Options

Open The phone Companion on your PC or dowload it from microsoft store and remove any phone thats linked (if any) then add a device and ensure you have installed The link to windows app on your phone also and open that up as well. On The Phone Companion on your PC request the option to create a QR code and go to The link to Windows on your phone and select the option to scan a QR code and this will link your phone and pc.

If you had a previous phone linked and not removed it from The Phone Companion on your PC you will still connect via bluetooth but unable to link and will keep saying Can't connect etc

erikinoz2020
Student
Options

Hello I am having the same issue. FYI members_zokALPt, good of you to reply but your suggestion has nothing to do with Bluetooth. They are totally separate things. The program you are talking about uses the web to send data to and from your phone.

See below the reason I think this problem is occurring.

erikinoz2020
Student
Options

Hello I had the same issues but then discovered that bluetooth will connect with my computer, as needed. When I needed to use a bluetooth connection between my computer and my phone for the internet (hotspot) it let me do this.

I think it will only connect when it needs to connect for a specific reason, but if that reason is unknown to the devices it won't create a connection. Try it yourself.  Might be the reason for the connection error. 

tylerUndead
First Poster
Options

Still no fix anyone? I'm having the same issue but let me elaborate anyways:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra and a custom built gaming-pc that was purchased last December. The gaming-pc was initially running Windows 10 but I quickly upgraded after only a couple of days to Windows 11. I had already installed and paired the windows phone companion app (now branded as Phonelink) as well as connecting and pairing via Bluetooth between the two devices which connected instantly worked flawlessly...for about four weeks. Here's when it went sideways...I downloaded a major update for Windows 11 and after I restarted, I was never able to connect with the two via Bluetooth again.

I've tried all the normally prescribed Bluetooth fixes...the main issues is that you are able to pair the two normally and they are indeed visible to one another. However, after pairing them, if you attempt to connect the devices, it simply says: "Unable to Connect." On my device this doesn't take more than 2secs to appear, so there's no long delay. The interesting bit, to me anyways, is that PhoneLink continues to work just fine...apparently Phonelink only needs a WiFi connection between the phone and the PC for MOST of the features to work with the caveat that any functions that require a Bluetooth connection (which is primarily making/receiving phone calls on the Windows desktop) will obviously not work.

So my conclusion is I'm guessing this problem has to do with some type of Windows update...primarily one dealing with the Bluetooth drivers? My assumption is something changed with the Bluetooth drivers, the way the computer bluetooth handles the phone maybe, that was done in that update? If everyone here all have Samsung devices perhaps there is something in the Bluetooth drivers that affects either how Windows handles Samsung devices, or conversely, how Samsung's drivers handle Windows? Assuming it's from that Windows update, this would be a Microsoft provided driver then? I'm just irritated there's still no answer here.

linnoiemclaren
First Poster
Options

I am in the same situation as you right now. I have A Samsung Galaxy s10, and I'm trying to connect my laptop with Bluetooth tethering so I can use my phone's internet on my laptop when I need to work on the go. I try to connect to Bluetooth my laptop shows up on my phone. I press connect the prompt comes up asking if the passkey is the same on my laptop screen and phone screen. They're both the same, so I press connect, and it just doesn't work. I tried everything to fix it, but it still wouldn't work. I m thinking of getting it fixed by a repair service if I can't do it myself.

Members_npP33vS
First Poster
Options

I have a Galaxy A20e, and have been trying to connect to my Dell XPS with bluetooth.  Both pair successfully, and the Dell connects to the phone.  But the phone keeps failing to connect to the Dell.

However, having read this thread I fired up my old Sony laptop running Windows 7  Home Premium and everything works.  I successfully transferred a photo from my phone to my old Sony.

Seems like it must be a Windows 10/11 matter.

0 Likes
Members_npP33vS
First Poster
Options

Further to my comments above, I have been able to connect a relatively old iPhone 6 and a very old Nokia 206 to my Windows 11.

In addition, the bluetooth driver for the Galaxy that works on Windows 7 is dated 21st June 2006 number 6·1·7600·16385

The driver for Windows 11 is dated 21st June 2006 number 10·0·22000·653 and works with both the Galaxy and Nokia.

I’m afraid I don’t know if this information points to a solution.  But I am guessing the it points towards Samsung as Nokia and iPhones work.

0 Likes
onlytanmoy
Pioneer
Options
Yeah must be down to Win 10/11, thanks for sharing your findings.
0 Likes
the4got10one
First Poster
Options

I followed this method on my Note 20 Ultra even after many attempts to connect with my phone showing me "failed to connect". The files sent to my phone from my windows 10 computer anyway using this video method. He states in the video, "after you set up your connection, my computer shows paired, but my phone still says failed, so I just tried this to see and it worked fine for me.  How to send file via Bluetooth with Samsung S20 plus and Windows 10 - YouTube

onlytanmoy
Pioneer
Options

Thanks mate, I was successfully able to send/receive files both ways using this method 👍

0 Likes