Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Bixby Routines - Great but...

(Topic created on: 21-10-2020 12:01 AM)
Dave1933
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Hello, I'm new to the forums, on my 5th Samsung Phone... I hope everyone is safe and well.

Having upgraded to the S20FE from the S9, I'm really impressed with things so far. Everything I liked on my S9, but more of it and done better.

I particularly like Bixby Routines to automate processes I used to tinker with when using Llama. 

However, I can't seem to nail down a certain routine which would improve my battery life and ensure I don't miss a call.

My network provider allows me use WiFi Calling and Texts, an absolute godsend as I live way out in the country and coverage is patchy. 

First few days I noticed battery drain was more than expected for a shiny new phone (hunting for a network signal) so I enabled flight mode then turned on WiFi. This improved the situation and also meant I didn't miss calls when switching from network to WiFi.

Problem is whenever I leave the house or return home. I either forget to turn flight mode / wifi on and off to suit. 

Now I have used Bixby quick commands to turn flight mode on, as it is greyed out in the routines menu. But once Bixby does that, it can't run other quick commands.

It may seem a pointless exercise but it's bugging me that I can't do it.

Any suggestions on how to achieve the unachievable?

8 REPLIES 8
zulf
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
why use flight mode just disable mobile data to stop it searching for network signal then use bixby to turn wifi/mobile data on/off
0 Likes
Ksmy89
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
You can use location to specify on the 'if' condition, for example 'if arriving at home (you need to enter your home postcode), then turn on WiFi and turn off mobile data'. And also 'if leaving home, then turn off WiFi and turn on mobile data'. You can add as many 'if' and 'then' actions as you like for each routine.
Dave1933
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
When I'm on wifi, the phone doesn't look for mobile data, just the normal carrier signal for voice calls.
zulf
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
thats because you are using flight mode which turns both wifi/mobile data off but then you bixby to turn wifi on but it leaves the mobile data which gives the carrier signal for voice calls
0 Likes
Dave1933
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
When I enable flight mode, all communications are off. If I then enable wifi, I'm sorted.

If I disable flight mode, then disable mobile data, I'm using my carriers signal for voice only and can't get data. It is that carrier signal my phone hunts for unless I put it in flight mode.
Ksmy89
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Can you use this then condition to lower the network mode so your phone picks up a signal easier? And therefore doesn't search for a signal as much?Screenshot_20201021-224432_Bixby Routines.jpg
0 Likes
Dave1933
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
That doesn't help I'm afraid as I have 4g or nothing.

If routines ran commands in the order I specified, or would allow flight mode to be activated, I would be very happy.

Its a shame as the automation works for pretty much everything else. I'm probably one of the few people trying to use routines in this way.

I sometimes work in an area that only has wifi and no mobile carrier at all. Being able to automate this would stop my phone searching for a signal that isn't there!