Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Drain

(Topic created on: 20-10-2022 04:40 PM)
Aminah
Journeyman
Options
Had anyone else noticed a huge toll on battery drain since the last security pathc update??

I don't know what it is but I noticed emt battery severely draining compared to normal when I'm hardly using the phone. 

#frustrating 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Hi @Aminah in addition to @AndrewL 's advice it is advisable to clear the cache partition after updates (if you are not aware) This deletes temporary files but does not impact on your Data.
Follow these steps:
1. Turn off the device.
2. Connect To Computer or plug in USB-C Headphones , Press and hold the Volume Up key and then press and hold the Power key.
3. When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
4. An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6. Press Power key to select.
7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

View solution in context

7 REPLIES 7
AndrewL
Options

@Aminah: If you head to Settings > Battery and device care > Battery, and tap on the usage graph, can you see any apps or features listed here that are using an abnormal amount of battery? If so, you may wish to tap on the app/feature, select 'Limit usage' at the bottom of the screen, and place it in the Sleeping or Deep Sleeping apps folder to limit its background usage. 

Solution
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Hi @Aminah in addition to @AndrewL 's advice it is advisable to clear the cache partition after updates (if you are not aware) This deletes temporary files but does not impact on your Data.
Follow these steps:
1. Turn off the device.
2. Connect To Computer or plug in USB-C Headphones , Press and hold the Volume Up key and then press and hold the Power key.
3. When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
4. An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6. Press Power key to select.
7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

stanleystones
Journeyman
Options
Hello
0 Likes
Aminah
Journeyman
Options
Thank you so much @JAMES4578, never heard of this before but I tried it last night and have definitely seen an improvement in background battery consumption when my device isn't being used.

I had already tried the advice given by @AndrewL before posting my comment, but that didn't seem to work.

Will definitely be doing this on a regular basis
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Aminah ,Good to hear, thanks for confirming.

Carly31
First Poster
Options
What if one doesn't have a Computer or USB thingy???
Regardless, Samsung should NOT have put this on the market with such a serious fault. I am 82 and due to I'll health NEED to be able to rely on my phone being useable 24/7 - unlike this S20 that requires a battery check more than three times a day.
dabuce
Student
Options
Totally agree. My phone is my lifeline . Battery drain is a serious fault and needs to be addressed urgently. A full Battery, draining overnight is unacceptable.