Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps crashing after Android 12 update

(Topic created on: 20-03-2022 03:55 PM)
Members_JESZlVt
Apprentice
Options

My Galaxy S20 Plus updated to Android 12 over the weekend, and ever since numerous apps are constantly crashing. I get notifications that Gear Fit Plugin, Samsung Smart Things and Galaxy Wearable have stopped working routinely throughout the day, even when I'm not using those apps (if i open any of them they crash again, so my Galaxy watch won't connect at all).

Other apps also crash at different moments, like Spotify crashes whenever it's opened, Whatsapp and Instagram whenever i try and make a video call, etc. 

I've restarted my phone, checked all the apps are up to date and cleared the caches of the apps involved, but no luck.

Has anybody else encountered these issues, and does anybody know how to resolve them?

12 REPLIES 12
CompAnddevcGurus
Journeyman
Options

Unfortunately yeah. I noticed it on my texting app that I use cuz I'm not a fan of the factory version on my s20 Plus. I did go into a few and clear the cache and that seemed to do the trick. I'll report back if anything changes but you could always give that a shot. Also go into your Play store and update your apps. Also going to the Samsung store and update the Samsung apps. Another thing is when you have updates I did notice that it doesn't exactly take all of your settings across. I am an IT guy so maybe  I'm a bit excessive but I'm really big on performance. I go into each individual app and change the settings based on my usage patterns and performance needs. Like I don't need all apps to be running in the background or being able to change settings. I also don't need them all knowing my location or having access to my phone book etc. Having too many apps running in the background at once will mess with your performance as well which will cause apps to close. If you go to your about phone section and click build number several times it'll open your developer settings. You can go in there and actually look and see what apps are running in the background and what apps are possibly crashing you can even set a notification to tell you when apps are crashing or ANR (apps not responding). I have found that simply clearing cache we'll fix that issue a lot of the times. But sometimes I have to clear data or reinstall. Heck sometimes I'll even just get rid of the apps if I don't need them any longer. I try to keep my phone running at peak performance but with the large amount of ram that my phone came with it's not usually a huge problem but believe it or not it still has problems. It's just a matter of tinkering until you get it right sometimes. Unfortunately when new versions of android are released, they tend to come with bugs. That is why there are usage reports etc... So that samsung can see what these issues are based on customers issues and then they can work the kinks out slowly but surely. Then they will release updates that fix these bugs. Be sure you have that feature on and that you report the issues to samsung when prompted. Im sure many people find this annoying but its the only way samsung can fix these bugs. Without our input they wont know the issues exist. Its impossible to nake bug free software trying to check everything immediately as there's way too much to go through. Just some food for thought and hopefully some suggestions to help you out. 

0 Likes
CompAnddevcGurus
Journeyman
Options

Unfortunately yeah. I noticed it on my texting app that I use cuz I'm not a fan of the factory version on my s20 Plus. I did go into a few and clear the cache and that seemed to do the trick. I'll report back if anything changes but you could always give that a shot. Also go into your Play store and update your apps. Also going to the Samsung store and update the Samsung apps. Another thing is when you have updates I did notice that it doesn't exactly take all of your settings across. I am an IT guy so maybe  I'm a bit excessive but I'm really big on performance. I go into each individual app and change the settings based on my usage patterns and performance needs. Like I don't need all apps to be running in the background or being able to change settings. I also don't need them all knowing my location or having access to my phone book etc. Having too many apps running in the background at once will mess with your performance as well which will cause apps to close. If you go to your about phone section and click build number several times it'll open your developer settings. You can go in there and actually look and see what apps are running in the background and what apps are possibly crashing you can even set a notification to tell you when apps are crashing or ANR (apps not responding). I have found that simply clearing cache we'll fix that issue a lot of the times. But sometimes I have to clear data or reinstall. Heck sometimes I'll even just get rid of the apps if I don't need them any longer. I try to keep my phone running at peak performance but with the large amount of ram that my phone came with it's not usually a huge problem but believe it or not it still has problems. It's just a matter of tinkering until you get it right sometimes. Unfortunately when new versions of android are released, they tend to come with bugs. That is why there are usage reports etc... So that samsung can see what these issues are based on customers issues and then they can work the kinks out slowly but surely. Then they will release updates that fix these bugs. Be sure you have that feature on and that you report the issues to samsung when prompted. Im sure many people find this annoying but its the only way samsung can fix these bugs. Without our input they wont know the issues exist. Its impossible to nake bug free software trying to check everything immediately as there's way too much to go through. Just some food for thought and hopefully some suggestions to help you out. 

0 Likes
OneEye
First Poster
Options

audio books crashes often when I'm playing a game. games crash as well. have to reboot for it to work. also bixby keeps coming in whennim driving with Android auto. I'd like to get completely disable that app

0 Likes