Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps crashing after Android 12 update

(Topic created on: 26-01-2022 03:50 AM)
Members_JESZlVt
Apprentice
Options

My Galaxy S20 Plus updated to Android 12 over the weekend, and ever since numerous apps are constantly crashing. I get notifications that Gear Fit Plugin, Samsung Smart Things and Galaxy Wearable have stopped working routinely throughout the day, even when I'm not using those apps (if i open any of them they crash again, so my Galaxy watch won't connect at all).

Other apps also crash at different moments, like Spotify crashes whenever it's opened, Whatsapp and Instagram whenever i try and make a video call, etc. 

I've restarted my phone, checked all the apps are up to date and cleared the caches of the apps involved, but no luck.

Has anybody else encountered these issues, and does anybody know how to resolve them?

12 REPLIES 12
Lyn_Mal
Student
Options
My Galaxy S10e also updated on the weekend. My calendar app has changed. The blue &green lines indicating there are events & reminders on a day have disappeared, very inconvenient.
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I would recommend clearing system cache, not just app cache.
0 Likes
Members_JESZlVt
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the response! I've tried to do this, but without success. From what i've seen online, I need to access recovery mode by turning off the phone and then holding the power and volume up buttons. One source said to release the buttons once the Android logo appeared, another said to hold them until recovery mode opens, but in both cases the phone just boots up normally and asks for the sim code pin, etc.

Is there another way?

UPDATE: found elsewhere on the forum that i need to plug in the phone to a laptop first. Trying this solution now.

0 Likes
Members_JESZlVt
Apprentice
Options

Worked out how to wipe the cache partition (per update in my response above), issue is still persisting unfortunately.

0 Likes
Kevbo66
Student
Options

My s20 ultra has sane issue its a joke releasing a software that dies this ti a perfectly good phone. Since I'm in contract can u get my phone replaced for one without this issue I don't pay £100 a month for a contract to have a unreliable phone 

AnotherGalaxyGuy
First Poster
Options

My S20+ got really laggy with Android 12, but that is nothing compared to Google Assistant being utterly broken. I haven't been able to use it even once since last week when the update hit. This is frustrating since I spent the last year incorporating it into my daily life; dozens of  custom routines  just going to waste at this point. I'm seriously considering switching to Alexa just to have a functional voice assistant again. I've sent literally hundreds of crash reports, created topics on this and other forums, spent hours seeking solutions, and even live chatted with Google support all to no avail. Just SOL indefinitely.

Members_JESZlVt
Apprentice
Options

I went through troubleshooting with Samsung support yesterday, and ended up having to factory reset my phone to resolve it.

While I'm happy it got resolved, I'm pretty angry that Samsung rolled out an Android update that rendered my phone unusable. Getting everything set up again took a couple of hours, which is frustrating given the problem was caused by the update. 

Punkyfish76
Apprentice
Options

Yes my phone is now just a complete nightmare

Messenger hasn't worked for a week. All apps crashing 8 can't send videos through any app and my camera settings and other settings are all different

Simple things like calling someone from my message app is just not happening

Not sure what to do i feel like smashing the phone up tbh

0 Likes
Amit71
First Poster
Options

I had the same problem....  After factory reset itblooks stable for till now 24h  . before that it reboot few time a day.

0 Likes