Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 12 on my S20 - so slow!

(Topic created on: 06-01-2022 12:36 PM)
alex_ncfc
Pioneer
Options

So yesterday my S20 (standard model) got the notification to update to Android 12. I don't usually put these updates off, as I like to stay current and up-to-date, but in this case, I wish I'd stuck to what I had.

From the first reboot after the update, I could sense the feeling that the phone was slow, and choppy. I thought it might just be settling down after the update, but no 24 hours later and after a few restarts it is still the same - animations and scrolling is choppy and the whole phone experience feels like it has slowed down, almost like the CPU speed has been halved. For instance, for some reason, now when I start an app, it seems to have two splash-screens? It has one with the icon of said app, and then the app's own loading/splash screen, which just makes everything feel so much slower.

Also, disappointingly, I have always had to have my S20 on the "standard" screen refresh mode, and not 120hz, as the 120hz option rinses the battery too quick. But I noticed the update enabled 120hz by default, and now it's worse than ever - at midday yesterday I had my phone charged to 100%. By 7pm I was down to 40%, and that was after one phone call and limited usage. So again I can't use the far nicer 120hz option because it just totally drains the battery.

By looking around the forum it is clear there are problems with this update. Anyone else experiencing the same as me? Any solutions? I feel like I've gone back to my old phone.

Do Samsung monitor these forums? Sort it out!

29 REPLIES 29
Rooster63
Explorer
Options

Same issues here. Nothing helped, even a full reset did not do anything! Come on Samsung!!! Speed up that necessary update. Phone is practically unusable!

DUSKvsDAWN
Explorer
Options

My battery has massive issues too. Wiping cache did not solve the issue. This update is so stupid.

Sarhang
First Poster
Options

It definitely slowed down my phone as you said there are now 2 loading steps for each app you open we need a patch ASAP

Galaxy 10+ here it was fast as lightning before don't tell me I have an old phone

0 Likes
alex_ncfc
Pioneer
Options

This is interesting, did you get this update through the "software update" screen in settings? I've checked but I've got nothing yet for my S20 5G.

0 Likes
Santosh2022
Apprentice
Options

Same ....

The update roll.out....may be country specific.....

CAN I RMA MY PHONE?

0 Likes
alex_ncfc
Pioneer
Options
That's annoying to hear, I had high hopes from your initial report on the update that it might have solved the slow, choppy performance.

I'm still waiting for the updated update, but as you said in another reply above, I'll probably have to wait a bit longer for it to come through.
0 Likes
AlxNet
First Poster
Options

I have the same experience since android OS 12 update this morning on my S10E. I have a benchmark program (xolo cpu) which used to measure 6,010 and now I have less than half of this core: 2,471. Even after several cold reboot.
Please Samsung sort it out. Hopefully samsung is not on the rout of iThings where they used to slow down the phones and you have to buy a new one.

cnote1287
First Poster
Options

It's almost like they're intentionally slowing down phones that are 2+ years old to give users an incentive to upgrade....gotta bring in that $$$$ some how....

0 Likes
cnote1287
First Poster
Options

They do it on purpose so you're forced to upgrade. Want a good experience after having a phone 2+ years? Don't upgrade. They slow them down on purpose.

0 Likes
Matt1231
First Poster
Options

This problem persisted on Samsung A7 tablet also.  However, I just had a solution (the difference like night and day).  Third solution (reset settings, just settings, not factory reset) from this article.  That restores default colours, keyboard language, brightness etc and the WiFi password needs to be re-entered.  Perfect result.

https://thedroidguy.com/how-to-fix-samsung-galaxy-a7-that-started-to-run-so-slow-easy-steps-1087317

Regards, Matt

0 Likes