Support

Open search

Speaker sound quality on S20+

Highlighted
Explorer

I received my Galaxy S20+ which I pre-ordered as my O2 Refresh upgrade back in February and I've got to say that I'm deeply disappointed with the sound quality on the speaker.

I have a Galaxy S10 standard model and the speaker on that sounds much better than on the S20+, it sounds tinny and distorted at high volumes and there doesn't seem to be any kind of bass or rich sound to the speaker when Dolby Atmos is switched on, unlike on the S10.

Anyone else had this trouble?

All in all, I'm not impressed and I'm probably going to return this device.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
Watch: Samsung Galaxy Watch Active
Carrier: O2
126 REPLIES 126
Highlighted
Apprentice
That video nails it. Really sad for a $1000+ phone. I'm quite shocked they'd put a speaker this poor in it tbh.
Highlighted
Explorer

I made a movie s20+ sound vs s9+

https://youtu.be/j_6De5NR0lM

1:12 this is the main point where you can hear the difference in sound quality

Highlighted
Apprentice
I had an s9 and notice exactly what is happening in your YT video @MarekPLWRO

I said in a previous message that my issue was resolved and that I thought it might have to do with the constant phone crashes, but I realized a few moments later that that was not true, I just happened to listen to a few songs that my s20+ could play pretty well, but then some other genre started playing and it was back at sounding like trash again.

Untill this day I am still very unhappy with the bad sound quality on the speaker, via bluetooth AND via USB-C to AUX... How hard can it be to just install a proper sound chip? probably Samsung just saving a buck... cheap *****.
Highlighted
Apprentice

I have the same problem. I had s10 and the audio was very good. I listen music on youtube and even videocall was very very good, very plesant. Now I bought s20 and the audio is terrible. The higjs are very crash, very anoining. I think samsung save dollars on good chip audio and that is the problem. I think actualization software will no help becouse of bad chip. Now i dont now what to do. I think i will stay with galaxy s10 becouse audio perfomance is very importand to me. Battery life is still no good - the same as in s10. The big upgrade on s20 is 120hz screen and thats it. In other cases this smartphones are the same. Very sad about it

Highlighted
Observer

Do you guys have Sound assistant active by any chance? My S20+ produces a very high pitched, tinny sound like you all are describing but only if I turn on "mono audio" or "reverse stereo" in the  Sound assistant app. turning this off fixed it for me entirely.

Highlighted
Pathfinder
weird, I just noticed when you turn on reverse stereo the sound gets way louder and actually sounds better. How is that even possible, lol. Something is fishy
Highlighted
Explorer

Where is this mystery sound assistant app one talks of??

And where can I turn off/on the settings?! Please coz im on edge of returning the phone.....

Highlighted
Explorer
how do I do that? Where are these settings pls?
Highlighted
Explorer

Can you explain how please

Highlighted
Pathfinder
Top Liked Authors