Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web page freezing when scrolling (Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra)

(Topic created on: 28-04-2020 12:06 PM)
PAGallim
Journeyman
Options

Only had it for a few days, but regularly when I'm scrolling on a web page (an on-line newspaper for example) the page will freeze.   Then I have to use the back button to come out of the site and then re-enter again.   Anyone else have this problem or remedial suggestions?

150 REPLIES 150
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Whatever happens, it's my last ever Samsung phone.

Rhonny
Pioneer
Options

@sigis123 

I'd register my dissatisfaction so you have a case if it's not resolved later, but it's not something you can send away to be fixed and they're naive to suggest it. I'm going to just wait and see whether the freezing gets fixed. Certainly for me that's the only issue on my S20+ so it might be different for you.

0 Likes
SavilleWolf
Explorer
Options

Thought I'd add my own experiences to this. I've been using Edge as my primary Web browser, since getting my S20 Ultra back near its launch. I've not had issues with freezing on Edge. Haven't done quite as much in Chrome though and Firefox Focus has also been fine on the times I've used it. Plus as a website designer, I tend to spend a lot of time on the various web browsers. Mine is the UK S20 Ultra handset, now on the ATCT update.

For me it's all the other issues which spoil the S20 Ultra. Things you'd not expect in a top-end premium handset. Other people are right, it feels like being a beta tester at times.

The camera is the worst culprit for me personally. Battery life isn't amazing either, it runs down quickly and it needs charging at least daily. The camera on occassion produces great, detailed and sharp photos and then too many times, performs terribly. People's skin looks like they've been hideously airbrushed. It also blurs images so easily, with virtually any motion. Most indoor shots also look poor, even with decent enough lighting.

Samsung really need to respond to this and get it all fixed, because it's not acceptable to deliver a product they are advertising as earth shattering, with so many issues. With the hardware in these phones, performance shouldn't be an issue if the software worked as it should.

chipchopchippy
Journeyman
Options

I've been using Firefox now for ~3 weeks (@120Hz) and have now been 'freeze-free' for that period. 

Have had a couple of software updates during that time (the last of which looks to have resolved macro-focussing - at least to the degree in which I can actually focus on something closer than 10cm away!) so impossible to definitively narrow it down to Chrome, but I shan't be switching back....

Rhonny
Pioneer
Options

I've switched to Microsoft Edge and so far no freezing! (And yet Edge is Chromium-based which is what I thought the issue was with Chrome and Brave....)

SavilleWolf
Explorer
Options

Yes, Edge should technically have the same issues, as its based on Chromium, but for me at least, I've had zero issues since getting my S20 Ultra over a month ago.

Might try using just Chrome for a while, to see if I can replicate the freezing issues for myself. I seriously don't think I've experienced the phone freeze issue once, in anything I've done so far and I use my phone quite heavily.

Rhonny
Pioneer
Options
Still going strong with Edge. Not a single scroll freeze! Very happy, and Edge is a great browser too.
0 Likes
Maustin
Journeyman
Options

I think it is great that Edge is working fine for you however; when you purchase the newest and most expensive phone on the market the integrated browser should be functional.  Samsung is a Google based phone and you shouldn't have to install a Microsoft application in order to browse the internet. I don't think installing Edge is the solution.  Samsung needs to fix the problem and if they can't then they need to refund everyone's money. 

Maustin
Journeyman
Options

Until the problem is fixed Samsung should not be selling anymore of S20 Ultra phones or at least inform the consumer of the flaw before they purchase it.  Samsung should give them the option to purchase another model or wait until the problem is fixed.  Perhaps Consumer Reports and the Better Business Bureau should be notified so that other people can be informed of the problems with the phone before they spend 1,500 to 1,800 dollars. 

0 Likes
SavilleWolf
Explorer
Options

I do agree that the phone should operate with any browser and the user shouldn't be forced to install a specific one, just to use the Internet without freezing web pages. This in itself is ridiculous and Samsung need to address it fast. Its not right on any phone, especially given it's using Google's Android OS and their Chrome browser - you'd expect no issues at all here.

For now however, Edge does seem to be working fine and has been stable for me with no crashes. This in itself is odd though given how it is Chromium based and very similar to Chrome.

0 Likes