Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of trading in your old Samsung for a shiny new S20? Think again...

(Topic created on: 12-03-2020 11:08 PM)
DCZH
Apprentice
Options

Well I was expecting £200 trade in for my S8 Plus against an S20 Ultra - now Samsung has received the S8 Plus they claim it has screen burn in at the top of the screen beside the time and want £100 from me. Well this phone is just over two years old. So either Samsung are selling phones with screens not fit for purpose or they are trying to rip me off. This will be the last Samsung I buy. 

121 REPLIES 121
PhilippeRostin
First Poster
Options

I just tried their offer and what a schock ! 250 canadian dollars for a 512k Note 10 plus I paid 1800 $ not a year ago ! I was already not interested by the Note 20 ultra because too heavy and the camera bump is way too big, now its for sure that I WILL NOT GET THIS DAM PHONE WHICH IN CANADA IS OVER 2200 $ I have so many things from Samsung ! I am now re-evaluating it all together. This is definitely a scam and pure bull*****.

0 Likes
raj6679
Student
Options
omg ive had the same and my phone was also in mint condition and i had it check at it was all ok
0 Likes
raj6679
Student
Options
just to let you knw i contacted samsung telling them they can have the s20 note ultra back as i was not willing to pay 100 extra because the trade team sent me a random picture of a phone say faulty screen burn...

got email back saying they have waived it and then another email from the trade team saying order completed
0 Likes
Members_acMk3lT
First Poster
Options

I just had exact same email from Samsung recycle asking for £25 with a random photo saying my phone had screen burn! Which it 100% did not! Any idea best way to get this resolved and what phone number to call please? Absolutely furious! 

0 Likes
Snorlaxx
Apprentice
Options

Hi! What phone did you trade in? They're asking me for £50...

0 Likes
DCZH
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S8 Plus
0 Likes
Kersey
Pioneer
Options

I've just had exactly the same problem, I sent a mint S9 in its original box to them as part of a trade in for an S20...today I received an email saying it had not met the trade criteria as it had screen burn and I had to pay an excess of £50. The evidence was a very poor quality picture. I took pictures of the screen before sending my phone and there is clearly no burn in as the phone is only 2 years old. I replied to the email along with my pics stating the screen burn in was the nature of the beast with Amoled screens and that my phone shouldn't be devalued because of the technology Samsung use.

I did get an email back stating as it didn't meet the criteria it would now be £25 excess to pay but I refuse to pay anything.

I now have the options of paying an excess (whatever value they decide to make up next), having the trade in returned and paying £100 or cancelling the deal and having my S9 back (which is currently valued at £180 at CEX)

0 Likes
Kersey
Pioneer
Options
Update - I replied to the email I received stating the screen burn and linked to this post with the intention of posting on Trust Pilot, emailing the CEO of Samsung, Trading Standards / Citizens Advice and received an email this morning to state they would waive the fee having spoken to the Manager.

I know next time I will not accept a trade in to continue supporting Samsung and their sales...once bitten!!!
0 Likes
tmoles
First Poster
Options

I also received an email today telling me that 'my' phone had screen burn (there is nothing to prove this is actually the phone I even sent in though). I called the number given upthread and the lady told me to reply to Samsung@tradeinresponse.co.uk. 

I have a screenshot of my phone taken on the day I sent it, in perfect condition, which I have attached to the email, so I will see what they come back with.

It looks like this is a really common thing, wish I had googled and found this thread before sending my phone in, I would have sold it elsewhere had I known it would be so much hassle!

0 Likes
Members_UxS4G6L
First Poster
Options

Me too with the "screenburn" issue having sent my handset in perfect condition.  Almost seems as if they're breaking the phones on arrival for the purpose of getting money out of us

0 Likes