Support

Open search

Switching WiFi connection on home network.

Highlighted
First Poster

Hello all, I was trying to find out if there is a easy way to switch my home WiFi connection from 5.0hz to 2.4hz on my Ultra. The only way I can find to do it is to login to the router itself and switch the connection manually which is a nightmare. I've looked on Google and it says that on android you can just toggle between the two connections but following the instructions my Ultra doesn't seem to have this feature. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @Kodiguru 

My Samsung Note 10+ 5G automatically picks 5ghz from my Home Broadband Router as the best connection.

As far as i can see you can't choose which connection you want via the phones settings.

You could look at splitting the frequency in your router and choose which one you want.

Or turn off 5ghz or 2ghz within the routers preferences settings although that's not something I would do.

Is there a reason why you need to manually switch  ?

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Highlighted

Hello Band of Brothers, 

Thank you very much for the reply. I kind of thought there wasn't a option on my Ultra to switch as I can usually find a setting even if it's hidden away.

I think you understand what I'm going to explain. 

I bought some Smart Bulbs which don't require a hub to run but for them to work via the app that you install to control them the device you use must be on the 2.4hz connection. 

When I tried to pair with the bulbs it recognised that my phone was on 5.0hz so thought I would try my tablet (again no option on my S6 to switch between frequency) but that was also on 5.0hz 

I'm with Plusnet so I logged into my router and found what devices were on what connection.

My Nvidia Shield & Samsung TV were on 2.4hz (think because the are connected via ethernet). The rest of our devices (Ultra, A71, Tab S6, Tab S4 and few devices we still have but don't use anymore) were all on 5.0

I spent a good hour see if I could manually swap my Ultra over to 2.4hz but the was just no way to do it. Google didn't help and I haven't heard back from Plusnet. 

The only thing I could do (which you didn't recommend) was to turn the 5.0hz off totally thus reconnecting all our devices to 2.4hz. Doing this did allow me to configure the bulbs but it was a real mission. 

We don't seem to have noticed any difference on our devices (maybe a slightly slower connection) being on 2.4hz so I guess this kind of solved my problem.

Maybe I'll look into getting a proper hub which would take all of this manual connection out of the equation. 

Anyway if you can think of another work around that springs to mind the please let me know. 

Have a great weekend. 

Highlighted

Hi @Kodiguru 

You're very welcome for my reply  :smiling-face:

"The only thing I could do (which you didn't recommend) was to turn the 5.0hz off totally thus reconnecting all our devices to 2.4hz. Doing this did allow me to configure the bulbs but it was a real mission. "

I did suggest "Or turn off 5ghz or 2ghz within the routers preferences settings although that's not something I would do."

The only possible issue with 2.4ghz is that the channels can be more noisy through more people using that option but trying different channels can help.

Personally I hook everything up via Wi-Fi as I like as much wire free as possible.

I'm using Bt Home Broadband and the Bt SmartHub 6. It has 7 Wi-Fi antennas I believe so ticks my usage needs quite admirably.

Obviously my phones are connected via WiFi.

So is my SAMSUNG - UE70RU7020KXXU 70" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV.

They are all hooked upto 5ghz but unlike you I'm not using smart bulbs etc.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Highlighted

Nice TV Band😁

Sounds like you have a very good up yourself. Again thanks for giving me a insight into what I could do to sort this issue. Its unfortunate Samsung doesn't have this quick switch option on their devices when others do. 

I do have a Smart Things hub coming soon as we Switched to Bulb Energy through the Samsung Members app so I might see if I can hook then up through this or get some more expensive bulbs that do run through a hub. 

Have a great weekend Brother. 

Top Liked Authors