Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Suggestion - Burst shutter on volume button long press ?

(Topic created on: 13-05-2020 09:30 PM)
Majorj0nny
Pathfinder
Options

One thing im struggling with is taking selfie burst mode while running. 

On my previous s10+ you could just hold the shutter button for burst mode on any camera, or, hold volume up or down for the same thing. 

Ive noticed on the s20ultra, the single press volume buttons still seem to take single shots, but burst mode is confined to a drag down motion on the onscreen shutter button. Works fine for rear camera shots or steady selfie shots, but as you can imagine, trying to do this while running across fields is a little awkward and im finding I need double jointed fingers! 

The volume button method was great to allow for some stability in the hand as I could grip the phone securely. 

Ive made the suggestion to samsung so hopefully if enough people have the same experience i should think they could update this in a furture software update. fingers crossed (or dislocated... as mine are fast becoming)  

27 REPLIES 27
barryGunn
First Poster
Options

ive used burst from volume control for years. this should not be considered an "update" or a possible future "added feature".  this should be considered a bug fix. samsung phones have had this feature for years.

scoon1120
First Poster
Options

This was definitely one of the best features of the samsung phones.  I take a lot of pictures of my kids and dogs.  Getting the burst shots with my volume key was great.  Especially when you are outside and it is hard to see your screen.  Who thought it would be a good idea to have the shutter/slide combination?  It is worthless when you are trying to take shots in the bright sun.  Please bring this back, or after 10 years i am going to go look for another phone.

digisam
Journeyman
Options

I completely agree, the new burst is unusable. Burst mode is to catch a moment, I have taken some of my best pictures by holding the phone at a strange angle and holding the  volume button. Just like with a real camera, you can put it in positions that you can't do so with your head. Photography would be incredibly boring if every picture was taken at eye level looking straight ahead. often that means you are unable to be standing behind it holding two hands looking at the screen. You can't even use the horrible slide button method with the floating shutter button. It is truly awful. No excuses, just give us the extra option to hold for burst or hold to record video. IMG_20200324_025140_896.jpg

IMG_20190829_232227_989.jpg

00000IMG_00000_BURST20180506175558327_COVER.jpg

IMG_20190728_201017_687.jpg

FredderP
Journeyman
Options

I too miss long press volume for burst shot. Until recently that capability was present in the Samsung camera on my S10e but a recent update removed in favor of the slide shutter button method which is much less useable.

I could double press power button with finger to quickly wake the camera then thumb the volume key to fire a burst even wearing gloves. So easy and able to do without looking at the screen to coordinate a touch action.

Removing volume key burst is another step backwards in usability.

himmelsnetz
Student
Options

On the last Android update, the Photo Burst changed from holding down the shutter button, to hold and slide down to bottom of screen. I am having a lot of problems getting the photo burst to work, I keep getting the camera to start shooting video instead, any suggestions on how to get the hold and slide to work more consistently would be helpful, right now I get it to work 1 out of 20 time I try.

FXSpectre
Apprentice
Options

Current solution is to buy a phone from one of Samsungs competitors. Literally any of them, take your pick. They all have functional burst modes. Its just Samsung that has decided that we, the users, no longer need a burst mode that works.

FredderP
Journeyman
Options

I'm having that problem too.  If i hesitate on the shutter button before sliding a video recording begins!

It was already annoying with the swipe mode change copied from iPhone that was to easy to fat finger a mode change.  Now burst mode is really crippled.

digisam
Journeyman
Options

yep, it makes burst mode useless

i have resorted to turning on motion photographs, so when i take a shot it gives you a second either side of the click, you can then extract frames from the motion photo

it is a poor substitute, did they even test it out? 

the sad thing is, I just know complaining about it is not going to make the slightest difference, stuff like this happens all the time, companies change things that users are not happy about and it doesn't even get acknowledged 

RobertL1977
Student
Options

Yeah you gotta be kidding me, my old Sony Xperia did burst the best, all in focus and micro seconds between frames. The Galaxy's have been good but moving away from the volume key or alt hard key is a deal breaker.

My S7 was one of my best phones after my S2, but the S20+ has been a far poorer user experience, starting with the fingerprint scanner (which I can understand) but this burst functionality loss makes no sense to me at all.

RobertL1977
Student
Options
But there is limitation of microphones that can't support volume control and sound at the same time.
So it's hard to support burst shot by long press on volume button."

That makes no sense to me, they did it before, do it again, alternatively just go back to how it was.
0 Likes