Support

Open search

Samsung Wireless Dex not working for me on S20U and Note 20U even after updating to OneUI 2.5

Highlighted
Apprentice

I have the Samsung Note 20 Ultra and the S20 Ultra, both UK EXYNOS version. Both have OneUI 2.5 and have the latest software update. However, while the 'wireless DeX' recognizes my Dell XPS immediately from both the phones, and shows me notifications, SMSes, photos on both the phones and even the list of apps in each phone, it does NOT show me the phone screen and the 'phone call' feature does not work. Each time I click on 'open phone screen' from my PC, 'Connecting to phone' window pops up, after a few seconds it says 'we need permission to display your phone screen' (the permission has already been given multiple times), then it goes back to 'connecting to phone', and after 1-2 mins, it just says 'unable to connect'. I've tried this after unpairing my smartwatches from the phones (to see if they were the issue) but to no avail. Not sure what to do. The only other devices paired to both these phones are my BT earphones.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Navigator

On your Dell XPS, In the start menu, assuming it's Windows 10. Search for , Project to this PC. This may work. I haven't tried it yet, but this may give you a start.

Galaxy S20+ G986B/DS Enterprise Edition (EE) Unlocked "UI 2.5"
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, my Dell XPS runs Win 10.  When I search for 'Project to this PC', nothing shows up.  When I press the Windows key + P, it shows me the Project options (PC Screen Only, Duplicate, Extend and Second Screen Only).  At the bottom of these options, there is a link that says 'Connect to wireless disply' and when I choose that, it does not list the phones.  Mind you, my phone (S20U) is still connected to my PC as I'm doing all this.

Highlighted

Sorry if it sounds stupid. Does it have WiFi?

Highlighted

Go to Control Panel > System > Projecting to this PC. You may have some available options here. I couldn't do it on my PC as it didn't have WiFi. I do believe it needs WiFi for Dex to work.

Highlighted

Yes, both the phone and PC are connected to the same 5ghz WiFi (though I don't think WiFi is required for this).  Also, 'Projecting to this PC' option in my PC is enabled.  In the 'My Phone' app on the PC, I'm still able to see notifications, SMSes and photos but no calls and not able to see phone's screen.

Highlighted

Ok. Let's scrap everything I've just said. With a little more reaserch I've found this link below on Samsung's site about Dex

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/connect-to-a-computer-or-tablet/ 

Click on the part where it says "How can I connect using DeX?"and download the PC version. I believe this is the part where you connect your phone to your PC via USB. If you Laptop/PC has it, connect it via the USB-C or USB 3.0 port.

Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

Yes as far as I am aware  you still need to use a USB connection for Dex via PC.

Wireless Dex is supported via Smart Tv's  but need to be recent models, 2018 and beyond.  https://insights.samsung.com/2020/08/06/how-to-use-samsung-dex-wirelessly-on-your-tv/ 

https://insights.samsung.com/2020/08/06/how-to-use-samsung-dex-wirelessly-on-your-tv/ 

Highlighted
Apprentice

Thank you for your responses, but unfortunately, I don't think they help.  Samsung Flow was present even before wired and wireless DeX, but Flow does not mirror the phone's screen on your PC for you to operate the phone via your PC (and does not solve the issue).  Wired Dex would of course work to mirror the phone's screen (and hence, receive phone calls), but I'm talking about Wireless DeX feature here. Not sure you know but when Samsung Note 20 & Note 20 Ultra were released, Samsung touted the WIRELESS DEX feature wherein you not only will be able to see your phone's photos/video and notifications on your PC without a wired connection but also mirror your phone wirelessly and interact with it using your keyboard and mouse on your PC/laptop's monitor (and not just TV). This was a heavily marketed feature and that is what I'm referring to. With OneUI2.5, this wireless DeX feature was brought to other devices such as the S20 series and the Note10+.  You will see many reviewers on YouTube show this feature off.  See YT video in the link below (pay attention for 9 seconds between 7:50 and 7:59 where he shows off this feature). This is what I'm talking about and I'm NOT able to get this to work on my S20U as well as my N20U. Hope the problem statement is clearer now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3HCRTL6ZAI

Highlighted

I have even reached out to this YouTuber ('Jake Bacon Digital') to show me how this works for him.  By the way, before anyone brings it up, this feature has nothing to do with Snapdragon or Exynos.  It is a Samsung OneUI 2.5 feature.

Top Liked Authors