!-- End Google Optimize -->
Support

Open search

s20 Ultra slow wifi on Asus router Ax88u

Highlighted
Navigator

Hi All,

I wanted to know if anyone else has been experience slow wifi speeds with their wifi 6 router. I have the Ax88u router and i know from the US forum some had trouble with their Note 10s as well.

When I run a speedtest alongside an iphone 8 the iphome has a much faster download speed compared to my S20 Ultra phone. I do have 1Gbs Internet in my home.

Would be good to see if anyone else has the same issue?

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
First Poster

Hi I have a same problem with my S20U and Asus AX92U. Problem is in Asus routers. i had same problem with S9+, note10. it takes about half an year and than Asus build new firmware with fix for samsung devices. My next router definitely won't be asus

Highlighted
Yeah I think that is the case. Also i found if you change the channel manually rather than allow it to do it automatically and switch off DFS it might help slightly. I have 5ghz on channel 44 and 2ghz one on 11.
Highlighted

Hi,

I got Galaxy s10e with the same issue. My router is RT-AX92U.

Speed on my s10e is about 2-4 mbit/s while in my iPhone 8 plus is 150 mbit/s

If I reset network o  s10e I get the high speed for a short while  but it drops to 2-4 mbit/s.

My friend tested with his s10 pro and had results.

Highlighted
I noticed that if you change the channel manually to 44 for the 5ghz and 11 for the other one it makes it a little bit better. You need to switch off the smart connect and the auto select DFS channel.

I did eventually return the router since i previously had a ac88 router.
Highlighted
First Poster

I don't think the issue is with the router in my opinion. I've worked in IT for a while troubleshooting networks and whatnot.

So I had an old regular Netgear router and purchased the Galaxy S20+ 5G and the speeds were terrible. Then I decided to upgrade the router to a new mesh system. I literally tried every single one, Velop, Orbi, Ubiquity, and Eero. Eero was the best, but not the point here. On each of these systems, my S20 only could pull down 40 Mpbs and about 20 upload. Regardless of location, wireless system, signal speed, etc. I have multiple laptops, phones, and iPad's that were able to pull down the correct speeds which were 100/20 Mpbs.

Needless to say, is it the phone absolutely, I'm just not sure why seeing how is has an AX chip and "should" be better then AC.

Highlighted
I agree with you.

Although i ended up returning my router but i think it is an issue with the phone. Since my other phone which is an iPhone 8 gets much faster speeds than the S20 Ultra.
Highlighted

Hi, maybe problem is in the phone. Before S20u I had  note 10 and I have same problem with WiFi ax. So thats why I think that problem is in the router. Before Asus rt 92ax I had Asus rt 68u and I had a problem with WiFi ac. On WiFi N phone worked well. When I tried to find problem I found that problem was in LAN latency. When I tried ping on router I had lots of lost packets and response was very strange. Some packet came back in 10ms some was higher than 500ms and some was time outed. So if LAN had a problem also WAN communication had a problem. And same problem I have now with Samsung S20 ultra And new router Asus RT 92AX with WiFi AX. AC works fine only with AX I have a problem. When I had router 68U Asus updated firmware especially for Samsung and iPhone devices and then my problem disappeared with WiFi AC problem. So I think Asus have same problem with new Samsung and iPhone mobiles. I already wrote to Asus support but nobody answer me. 

Highlighted
Yeah i think with Wifi6 still being quite new i think it will take another year before some of these issues are ironed out.
I resulted back to my old router the AC88U.

I did notice that changing the wifi channel did help and switching off the Auto channel. Also the cables i used was Cat5E.
Highlighted
First Poster

So I think I found the issue but I'm not 100% sure. For those of you having slow wifi speed issues on the Galaxy S20 can you try disabling bluetooth and running another speed test? I'm very interested in the results as this appears to have resolved my issue. If this is accurate, that is a very unfair tradeoff Samsung.

Top Liked Authors