Support

Open search

S20+ overheating, freezing, and restarting.

Highlighted
Just Browsing

i only bought this s20+ brand new last month. and yet its happened several times where the phone will first freeze on whatever im doing. 1 time it was on call to someone and starting making high pitch sounds then restarts then a few seconds later heats up to the point i cant touch the phone! 2nd time i was on whatsapp and it froze then restarted over heated and was laggy. this time its overally laggy and froze during another phone call same situation. 

ive done a factory reset. got rid of mostly all my apps just incase it was due to that. but it works for a day and then back to overheating, laggy and restarting. i then checked the buttons incase it was pushed in (mind you ive only bought this recently and havent dropped it anywhere etc) but still same situation. how do i fix this. and now just this second whilst writing this query my phone, which im not even touching atm, goes and freezes , restarts and again is hot as anything. ive updated the software and have no clue what more i can do!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
@Hally94: Really sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues with your Galaxy S20+. As a troubleshooting step, please can you restart the phone in Safe Mode via the steps below and monitor the performance of the device for a few hours (depending on the frequency of the problem)? This will disable any third party apps, and help to determine if the issue is stemming from an external source. If you notice an improvement, restart the phone as you would normally and remove any third party apps that you have installed. Sadly there is no way to determine exactly which app might be responsible, therefore I recommend deleting them one at a time, as a process of elimination

To proceed, Press and hold the Power button until the 'Power off' prompt appears on the screen then release > Touch and hold Power off until the 'Safe mode' prompt appears then release > To confirm, tap Safe mode > With Safe Mode enabled, ensure Airplane Mode is turned off.

hi thanks for the response, ive already tried the safe mode option as thought it may be a rouge app so deleted every app and yet it still kept happening.

Highlighted

@AndrewL wrote:
@Hally94: Really sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues with your Galaxy S20+. As a troubleshooting step, please can you restart the phone in Safe Mode via the steps below and monitor the performance of the device for a few hours (depending on the frequency of the problem)? This will disable any third party apps, and help to determine if the issue is stemming from an external source. If you notice an improvement, restart the phone as you would normally and remove any third party apps that you have installed. Sadly there is no way to determine exactly which app might be responsible, therefore I recommend deleting them one at a time, as a process of elimination

To proceed, Press and hold the Power button until the 'Power off' prompt appears on the screen then release > Touch and hold Power off until the 'Safe mode' prompt appears then release > To confirm, tap Safe mode > With Safe Mode enabled, ensure Airplane Mode is turned off.

ive already tried safe mode and deleting all the apps. when i put it in safe mode now all my games arent playable (grey), only thing thats coloured are :

clock, contacts, calender, messages, camera, gallery, phone, youtube, netflix, facebook, one drive, galaxy store, bixby, tips, live transcribe, AR zone, my files, game launcher, google app, gmail, play store, maps, chrome, settings.

everything else is grey. and yet my phone is still overheating/laggy.

Highlighted
@Hally94: Thank you for confirming. If you go to Settings > Device Care > Security > Scan Phone, does this flag anything? Similarly, if you go to Memory > Clear Cached Data/Clean Now, does this improve the performance at all?
Highlighted

@AndrewL wrote:
@Hally94: Thank you for confirming. If you go to Settings > Device Care > Security > Scan Phone, does this flag anything? Similarly, if you go to Memory > Clear Cached Data/Clean Now, does this improve the performance at all?

nope ive cleared cache data and scanned my phone .. nothing pops up it says its all ok

Highlighted

Hi I'm having exactly the same problem. If I start watching now TV or any programs or using my phone at length my phone is red hot. If I video call someone and it doesn't matter which app I use. The other callers tells me it sound like a robot talking and I have to call back and then its ok. When I'm doing my Internet searches it freezes and generally normally at the most important time. I was talking to a friend and she was having exactly the same problems but told me she had contacted Samsung and they said they had not had any reports of this happening. Definitely and problem with the phone. 

Highlighted
I'm thinking it might be as that makes a few people now who've said Samsung s20+ is messing around. I was talking to Samsung all day yesterday to try and fix it restarted my phone for the 4th time. which is a joke. but its working (like it does for a few days) in a few days I'll be back here with the same issue. I've sent so many error reports during the phones episodes but we'll see.. going to get a call today at 11am from samsung so hopefully its fixed.
Top Liked Authors