Support

Open search

S20+ camera terrible quality

Highlighted
First Poster

I have had the S20+ for 2 days now and the camera quality is awful.

I upgraded from an S10 because we have just had a newborn baby and wanted a better camera for photos and videos. I got one good video and now I can't get the same outcome.

The 64mp mode is the worst quality photo and the 8K video mode is the worst quality out of all the ratios and modes.

I've looked it up and it says there will be an update to fix I do not believe an update will fix this problem as my phone has updated this morning and no change.

For the price this phone is its not worth it. My S10 was better.  It seems the camera is inconsistent from one day to the next the smoothness of movement has dissapeared. I Reset the camera settings but this did not change anything. There arent many settings that you can change so i do not kbow how this can effect the camera in such a big way.

I know others are having this problem  so has anyone found a fix for such issues or a setting that effecting the camera?

All help appreciated 

29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Explorer

64mp is better to be used outdoors in daylight, there it will deliver way more detail than the main 12mp camera. In less than ideal light condition the main camera will give better results. 8k is shot at 24fps and will do best in a scene with very little to no movement at all and having the phone suported on something or maunted on a tripod. Its not good for fast moving objects and the focus will be much slower than the other resolutions. So you can use it to capture lets say a landscape. Otherwise stick to 4k30 so you can use all 3 lensese and have good stabilisation. Or 4k60 with the main lense for fast moving objects (in good light conditions)to look extra smooth.

Overall, camera is far from being terrible. You just have to learn what mode to use in what sitution and it can deliver very good to excellent results in every situation.

Highlighted

@W0lf wrote:

64mp is better to be used outdoors in daylight, there it will deliver way more detail than the main 12mp camera. In less than ideal light condition the main camera will give better results. 8k is shot at 24fps and will do best in a scene with very little to no movement at all and having the phone suported on something or maunted on a tripod. Its not good for fast moving objects and the focus will be much slower than the other resolutions. So you can use it to capture lets say a landscape. Otherwise stick to 4k30 so you can use all 3 lensese and have good stabilisation. Or 4k60 with the main lense for fast moving objects (in good light conditions)to look extra smooth.

Overall, camera is far from being terrible. You just have to learn what mode to use in what sitution and it can deliver very good to excellent results in every situation.

I have ti dusagree on some points.

First the 64mpx is better at daylight, yes but the hdr is very bad compared to the normal sensor.

The 3x zoom is not optical but it uses the 64mpx to digitally zoom so the very long focus will not be as good as a real optical and since it is cropping on a 64 mpx the zoom will be awful in medium-low light conditions.

The 8k 24fps has many many things which need to be said about it and about why it is just marketing.

First 8k on a smartphone is a joke for various reasons:

1 the camera sensor is small, real 8k cameras are usally full frame and can cost from 100k and up and are used only to shoot films.

2 if you want to capture more detail increasing the pixel count is not enough. If the quality sensor does not scale accordingly or more the sensor even though has more mpx will not be able to catch much more detail or no more detail at all if not worse. This 8k video recording is the 3rd case no more detail. Take a still video of few seconds on 8k and then on 4k. Go on the pc pause them and zoom in with them side by side. You will notice nearly no difference in detail plus the 8k video is way more cropped in so you are not gaining detail and losing only field of wiew+ 600mb at minute.

3 8k is 4 times 4k, the phones isp are not able to process all of that and will not be able for at least 2 years if not more.

The result is that footage is not stabilised, hdr is non existing and if you move the camera quickly from one side to another you should be seeing objects to get a jellifish like artifact, that is due to the fact that the isp cannot process frames fast enough.

3 the performance in low light will be low and you will get so much more noise resulting in much less detail compared to a 4k or 1080p video.

The main 12mpx is the only thing that was done with some sort of sense, the sensor however has the same performance of the 12mpx main of the s10 and has just slighly sligtly less noise than the s10 in low light.

The s20 ultra on the other side is much worse than the s20 plus, luckily you did not buy that.

However from my point of view "upgrading" from an s10 to an s20 is not an upgrade at all from a camera pov nor from a screen pov.

The last part is the soc: the 990 is much more power hungry of the already power hog 9820, has high thermal throttling and is in a cold run a marginal improvement compared to a 9820 and it is worse if the soc is heating.

The only upgrade is if you were going from an exynos 9820 or snapdragon 855 s10 to a snapdragon 865, but the soc itself since we are speaking of 2019 flagships.

At the end of the day no offence but you were trapped by the marketing.

If i were you i would return it if still in time.

Hope to have clarified and congratulations for the baby!

Archer
Highlighted

Thanks for your reply. I will keep this advice in mind when taking photos

Thanks for that info I did not know that much about it.

I agree that I think I was suckered by the marketing. I think I have got it to the settings I had it at and it looks okay but still think its not worth the money. I may take your advice and return it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply in so much detail.

Sy

Highlighted

@Archer_Legend Wrong quote, I think you are talking to @Sy86.

Highlighted
😮 I went from S9+ to S20+ and found the camera quality to appear to be the same. The earphones had the slightest improvement to the S9+'s missing base. I have to use a different phone brand's standard earphones to get improved music sound. Overall it's a disappointment. Are there any phones with better camera quality out there?
Highlighted
Explorer
I do not agree with this as my new S20 Plus i have found the cameras excellent clarity. The daylight images compared to previous S10 phones are much crisper and better details. When i had previous S10 Plus i found images to be very muddy,mushy especially in the shadows. But S20 Plus is way cleaner. Zoom at 3x is surprisingly decent & night shots improved on night mode too. See images taken on my Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/CA0aNI2jwYa/ 3x zoom shot
Highlighted
Apprentice

Do you still having the problem?

I've bought the phone 2 days ago and I am disappointed.

Regards

Highlighted

Sure do, But it performs better in good lighting. The smudgey muddiness is still evident in most, still and well focused

pictures and the biggest let down. 

Highlighted

Still not impressed with the camera, though zoom is good.  I'll refer you to the archer and wolf conversation above speaking image settings. 

Top Liked Authors