Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 and Chord Mojo

(Topic created on: 10-07-2020 06:02 PM)
BlackJohnny
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I have upgraded from an s9plus to s20 plus but I was surprised to realize that when plugged to my Chord Mojo dac it outputs something that can not be called music. Anyone else having the same problem?

One mention, my device has the random reboot bug... Still waiting for the fix.

Pls someone test s20 plus with chord Mojo and let me know if it works for you. Thank you!

0 Likes
35 REPLIES 35
McCol
Pioneer
Options

@BlackJohnny 

What does atfg mean?

What country are you in because there is no UK fix so far.

0 Likes
BlackJohnny
Explorer
Options

My device is s20+ and those 4 letters are the version termination. The long version is G985FXXU3ATFG.

I would check here to see if your carrier/country is getting it: https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s20-plus/firmware/#SM-G985F

0 Likes
McCol
Pioneer
Options
@BlackJohnny
That makes sense

Unfortunately my model is SM-G988 etc so assuming that this fix is not in the pipeline

Do you think the audio fix is a lucky outcome if the camera fix? Still seems that Samsung are being ignorant of the fault, however happy it seems fixed for you👍
0 Likes
McCol
Pioneer
Options

Looks like I wasn't wrong after all.  The fix seems to be limited to certain handsets.  Update applied to my handset today and the problem is still present.  

This makes Samsung look very amateur, If you want to use decent audio gear with a smartphone then look elsewhere.

0 Likes
jlovesbacon
First Poster
Options

I had the same problem with my S20 Ultra (Singapore) + Chord Mojo combo since I got the phone last March.  It sucks that the problem forced me to use my older Soundblaster E5 DAC via Bluetooth.  Fast forward to August-- the firmware  ending with ATG4  fixed the issue for me. 

0 Likes
cscottrun4it
First Poster
Options

While I applaud the solution (I love USB Audio Player), I'm not sure it's the Samsung solution to the basic problem.

As I understand it, when Samsung designed its latest line of phones, it knew it had to address the fundamental problem of analog output via the USB C connection as well as digital output via the same connection. (On the old phone models, analog output was handled by the 3.5 mm jack and digital output was handled by the USB, right?) Fortunately, the solution was out there - the USB OTG standard and it's a no brainer for a hardware architect. 

USB OTG has been around since the early 2000s. It allows phones and tablets to connect to things like digital camaras, external hard drives, even thumb drives. In short, the standard allows the phone to act like a mini computer when managing these types of devices, ie push data and accept data very dynamically.

On the Samsung S20s, an analog stream is passed through USB C by default. To trigger the phone to pass digital data via the USB C connection, you have to use a USB OTG cable! Amazingly, one probably came with the phone and, like me, you tossed into a drawer having no idea why you wanted it. But now that you want to pass digital data to your out board DAC, you need a USB OTG cable. After all, DACs don't like analog data.

Good news - you can buy a USB C OTG cable on Amazon for less than $10. The OTG cable will have a female end on it, so you'll need another regular USB cable to go to the DAC.

https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/mobile-devices/what-is-an-otg-cable-and-what-is-it-used-for/ 

Yes. If you had been reading the Samsung pages in New Zealand, you'd have seen this. No. I don't live in New Zealand. No. The above page does not mention a DAC. Yes. It's taken me hours to figure all this out, and then I found the above page. 

0 Likes