Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 and Chord Mojo

(Topic created on: 20-04-2020 01:51 AM)
BlackJohnny
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I have upgraded from an s9plus to s20 plus but I was surprised to realize that when plugged to my Chord Mojo dac it outputs something that can not be called music. Anyone else having the same problem?

One mention, my device has the random reboot bug... Still waiting for the fix.

Pls someone test s20 plus with chord Mojo and let me know if it works for you. Thank you!

0 Likes
35 REPLIES 35
Nazsta
Explorer
Options
Mike

What would I do without you!! _ FYI - I am in the UK and have checked using CPU-Z, and I sadly have the 2 x Exynos M4.

So let me see if I got this right.

(NOTE: Let's forget about the S20 ultra for the purposes of these questions: Lets assume I am using my Samsung S10 and/or IphoneX and I am ONLY using the Mojo; No Poly being used, as your comprehensive answers have adequately dealt with this; although I do still have one question, which I will ask last!)

[Also, may thanks for the advice on the BTR5; you are correct, it can be used USB DAC direct to the phone, as well as laptop, tablet, PC etc...; I finally found this info on, ironically, their website!!]

1) I note you say, "...if portable then buy a Mojo to start with, use USB audio pro on the Samsung and stream directly from the iPhone to the Mojo from Amazon music..." - TWO Questions follow:

1) Therefore, are you saying that even if I connect the Mojo directly (USB) to my Samsung S10, that I still will not be able to use Amazon own native App, to stream Music-HD (via my own Home Wi-Fi and/or 4G connection; i.e., not downloaded for offline use) without using UAPP???

If so, how do I achieve that, given UAPP does not support Amazon Music HD??? - I am confused again - LOL

2) However, am I right that I can connect the Mojo via USB, and stream Amazon HD music (home Wi-Fi or 4G) using their native App, on a iPhone X?? No additional software required???

MOVING ON:

This question, only as a result of the Firmware Update to the POLY:

3) Now that Chord have released a firmware update (and thank you for providing the link) for the POLY, am I right in assuming that whilst this update brings a smile no doubt to you, that for me, (if I insist on staying with Amazon HD) this update would still not (it seems) allow/facilitate my ability to stream from Amazon's Native App, or by using a 3rd Party App, regardless of whether I use the Samsung S10+ or indeed the iPhone X (from HOME WIFI or Mobile 4G) as it simply is not supported by the Poly and/or 3rd Party Apps, despite this Firmware Update to the Poly???

It seems to me that depending on your answers, I will contact Amazon again, who have said that I can cancel within 14 days; Its only been a week, so time is on my side; and switch to Tidal or Quobuz.

Bonus Question(s):

4) Do you have any knowledge/or even thoughts on the Fiio Q5S DAC/AMP?? I'm wondering if this will work with Amazon HD music when used as a USB DAC??

---- Also, it does have wonderful (input) Bluetooth Codecs, and apparently the Samsung S10 supports Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX - and the iPhone X supports: A2DP (AAC, SBC) ---- So I am thinking that at least the fiio Q5s will allow me both Bluetooth transmission (lossy, but better than Poly's Bluetooth) from the source device, be it Samsung S10 or iPhone X;

5) Would this device therefore be a better one, even though I appreciate IT'S NOT as great as the MOJO, but still supports 768Khz/32-bit via USB and 96Khz/24-bit (max) via Bluetooth's lossy compression??

In the meantime I will take a look at the Hugo 2 and its counterpart, although I am really looking for the best portable solution per se.

Thank you so much Mike; I feel I am making headway in an arena that until last week I really had no clue; may be that is still the case - LOL.
0 Likes
Mikeyevs
Pioneer
Options

Hi Naz, apologies for the delay again, I had a non-email day yesterday!

I have copied your message again to help me to answer the questions I can, so here goes.

(NOTE: Let's forget about the S20 ultra for the purposes of these questions: Lets assume I am using my Samsung S10 and/or IphoneX and I am ONLY using the Mojo; No Poly being used, as your comprehensive answers have adequately dealt with this; although I do still have one question, which I will ask last!)

[Also, may thanks for the advice on the BTR5; you are correct, it can be used USB DAC direct to the phone, as well as laptop, tablet, PC etc...; I finally found this info on, ironically, their website!!]

1) I note you say, "...if portable then buy a Mojo to start with, use USB audio pro on the Samsung and stream directly from the iPhone to the Mojo from Amazon music..." - TWO Questions follow:

1) Therefore, are you saying that even if I connect the Mojo directly (USB) to my Samsung S10, that I still will not be able to use Amazon own native App, to stream Music-HD (via my own Home Wi-Fi and/or 4G connection; i.e., not downloaded for offline use) without using UAPP???

No, you will be able to use the Amazon app (or any app for that matter) as the Samsung squirts the digital signal into the mojo and the mojo converts whatever signal it gets to analogue.

The S20 also does this but due to the software problem, the sound is accompanied by lots of clicks and pops and even stutters whilst delivering the signal.

My s9 had no problems of this sort at all, so it may be that the s10 does not either. This could mean that all will work fine (it may be worth asking an s10 mojo owner the question).

As an s20 user, I have to use a third party decoder (USB Audio Pro) to stop the "crackles"!

If so, how do I achieve that, given UAPP does not support Amazon Music HD??? - I am confused again - LOL

You won't have to do anything except plug in the mojo with a  USB c to micro USB lead and press play.

2) However, am I right that I can connect the Mojo via USB, and stream Amazon HD music (home Wi-Fi or 4G) using their native App, on a iPhone X?? No additional software required???

Yes, I can also do this on my S20, but it sounds rubbish. I assume that the Apple doesn't have the same shoddy USB software as Samsung adopt for the S20

MOVING ON:

This question, only as a result of the Firmware Update to the POLY:

3) Now that Chord have released a firmware update (and thank you for providing the link) for the POLY, am I right in assuming that whilst this update brings a smile no doubt to you, that for me, (if I insist on staying with Amazon HD) this update would still not (it seems) allow/facilitate my ability to stream from Amazon's Native App, or by using a 3rd Party App, regardless of whether I use the Samsung S10+ or indeed the iPhone X (from HOME WIFI or Mobile 4G) as it simply is not supported by the Poly and/or 3rd Party Apps, despite this Firmware Update to the Poly???

I can't see any way in which you can stream Amazon HD to the Poly over wi-fi. There may be a UPnP app out there which does it, but it is not obvious. I suspect that Amazon have not released the APK to allow this, but I may be wrong.

As mentioned before you can use Bluetooth to the poly, but you would be better off with a pair of Sennheiser momentum true wireless buds using Aptx HD (assuming the iPhone supports this codec... the Samsung's do not.). Again, it is all about getting the best quality of signal out of the phone. Aptx HD into cheap headphones will sound better than an inferior Bluetooth codec into the poly.

It seems to me that depending on your answers, I will contact Amazon again, who have said that I can cancel within 14 days; Its only been a week, so time is on my side; and switch to Tidal or Quobuz.

You may not need to do this if you are using only a mojo and the USB output on the s10 does not pop and crackle like the s20.

Bonus Question(s):

4) Do you have any knowledge/or even thoughts on the Fiio Q5S DAC/AMP?? I'm wondering if this will work with Amazon HD music when used as a USB DAC??

It will definitely work with Amazon music natively, but again, if the output on the s10 has an issue like the s20 it will be "unlistenable".

---- Also, it does have wonderful (input) Bluetooth Codecs, and apparently the Samsung S10 supports Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX - and the iPhone X supports: A2DP (AAC, SBC) ---- So I am thinking that at least the fiio Q5s will allow me both Bluetooth transmission (lossy, but better than Poly's Bluetooth) from the source device, be it Samsung S10 or iPhone X;

You need the phone to support aptx HD to get decent quality audio. If it does not then always use a wired or wi-fi connection.

The problem with the poly and the s9/10/20 is that none of them support aptx HD.

5) Would this device therefore be a better one, even though I appreciate IT'S NOT as great as the MOJO, but still supports 768Khz/32-bit via USB and 96Khz/24-bit (max) via Bluetooth's lossy compression??

No.

In the meantime I will take a look at the Hugo 2 and its counterpart, although I am really looking for the best portable solution per se.

The Hugo 2 is quite extraordinary. It sounds incredible and works as a brilliant stand-alone DAC in a high-end domestic hi-fi system.

It will also transform an average system too. 

The setup looks something like this... Roon server (an olf pc, mac or laptop), Hugo 2/2Go as roon endpoint, amp and speakers.

The advantage of this is that you can control everything (including volume) from any mobile device with the roon app downloaded.

This is a seriously cheap (and great sounding) way of getting a great sound without a huge expenditure. If you are on less of a budget then poly/mojo does the same thing without the sound quality of the Hugo2 

I really hope that this helps a bit.

Kind regards

Mike

Nazsta
Explorer
Options
Hi Mike,

Thank you so so so much for all your help, guidance and advice. I feel enlightened. Your knowledge is laudable and has helped me tremendously. I have decided not to go with the S20 for now (cancelled my order a few days ago), and will stick with the S10 and my iPhone X. Once S20 is sorted out - I hope you will post something as soon as you might be aware - I will (maybe) get one.

I have decided against the Hugo2 because its not really portable and all the extra attachments cost way too much; I prefer a one stop solution. On that note, and after some careful consideration (Pioneer, Sony, A&K, DFly, EarStudio etc.. and hours of reading) as someone who is making his first ever Audiophile purchase I've ordered the Fiio M15. Now I've got to do some homework on balanced headphones to compliment this purchase. Once again, thanks Mike; your a proper gem!
0 Likes
AntS
Options

@BlackJohnny wrote:

@AntS thank you for your reply. I have just sent the logs. As this does not seem to be a random issue I am not sure about the value of these logs for de developers. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to hearing from you and the devs. Regards!

Just following up on this one, guys. The developers have advised us that they've found the source of the issue and have produced a fix. They didn't say when, but I'm guessing that it will be in an upcoming software update.

0 Likes
BlackJohnny
Explorer
Options

Wow! That is great news! I look forward to have this fix❤️

0 Likes
McCol
Pioneer
Options

@Nazsta 

The Fiio Q5S may well work on with the S20 range.

It was the only Dac that I was able to use with the s10 with no pops or crackles to the music.

Tech support at Audioquest gave me the reason for this when I enquired about the issue with the Dragonfly Cobalt.

When you connect a USB Dac it will normally try to use the android drivers for this task.  USB Audio player Pro bypasses these drivers and uses its own driver.

Now with all other android phones and ios there is no issue using either, not so the Samsung range, hence the pops and crackles, audio quest describe it as digital noise.

The Fiio q5s uses its own built in drivers to bypass the android driver, this means no digital noise. 

Akinobu
First Poster
Options

@AntS wrote:

@BlackJohnny wrote:

@AntS thank you for your reply. I have just sent the logs. As this does not seem to be a random issue I am not sure about the value of these logs for de developers. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to hearing from you and the devs. Regards!

Just following up on this one, guys. The developers have advised us that they've found the source of the issue and have produced a fix. They didn't say when, but I'm guessing that it will be in an upcoming software update.

I got an update to my phone on 26 April 2020. It didn't solve the problem. The snaps, crackles and pops on a wired connection from my S20 Ultra to the Mojo still there. 

Come on, Samsung, get your act together. Otherwise I'm going to commit the original sin and get meself an Apple. 

0 Likes
BlackJohnny
Explorer
Options
Hi! Any news about the fix? The workaround is okish but the streaming with Google Music is not a great experience via this app 😞
0 Likes
McCol
Pioneer
Options

@BlackJohnny 

There will be no fix, issue has been present for over 2 years across two generations of handsets.  Samsung clearly either can't fix or are choosing not too.

0 Likes
Solution
BlackJohnny
Explorer
Options

You were wrong @McCol !

Yes baby, the fix has landed today! ATFG update works like a charm with MOJO. A little bit late but, still, thank you Samsung!

0 Likes