Support

Open search

Delay between pressing camera button and picture being taken resulting in missing the shot

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi all,

S20 Ultra here, have taken plenty of great shots with my camera, the quick updates since launch have fixed most issues people had at launch with the cameras but somthing that occasionally bugs me is a delay in capturing a photo after pressing the button, resulting in missing the shot.

Typical scenario - taking a photo of my kids , they move a lot so you dont have long to get a shot, I  pull the the phone out, line up the shot and press the button and nothing, 1 second, maybe 2 and it takes the shot and its not the shot you wanted.

It certainly isnt all the time, sometimes the shot is pretty much instant, I am begining to suspect its related to the auto focus, the phone doesnt focus quick enough or maybe doesnt think its focussed (often it looks fine on screen) so wont take the shot quickly when you need it to.

Any ideas?

72 REPLIES 72
Highlighted

I'm from Germany and I have the same problem with my S20 Ultra. I tried to change EVERY setting to eliminate the problem, but without any success. However, I also noticed that the camera hasn't any performance issue when I don't take a picture of faces. It's very fast (how it's supposed to be) when I take photos of my furniture, buildings, nature etc. But as soon as a face is in the frame, regardless of which camera I use (front or back), it seems like the camera is "thinking" up to 5 seconds to do something in the background. But I don't know what it does to shut that process down. Any ideas? 

Highlighted

Did u find any solution? I have the same problem with 2 ultra, I called remote control and they couldn't fix it either so they wanted me to go to customer service , did u go? 

Highlighted

I have the same problem, with selfie camera, tomorrow i go to service assistence.

Highlighted
Please let us know how you go! Haven't been able to here, too hard to get to the store when working from home away from the city.
Highlighted

I've been to the help center and they told me it's probably a software problem, to wait for future updates and see if it fixes it

Highlighted
No issues with my Exynos S20U on the rear camera, but front facing takes about 5 seconds after pressing shutter to actually take the photo, I can fix this by tapping to focus before pressing shutter, also it appears to happen mainly when there is something bright like a window behind me, and my arm is extended fully, no window and closer to my face and it takes shots a lot quicker
Highlighted

I completely missed out on many moments with lots of movement in the scene because the shutter did not react at all or just after several seconds.. I will try again soon with auto HDR switched off.. Can not be that this phone is not suited to take fast movement pictures and only takes still scenery.  

Highlighted

I've sent a error report off 3 times now. Had one update since I posted about having this issue, hoped it would fix the camera but it seems to have made it worse, I now have a delay on the front camera as well!

I honestly cannot believe with this VERY expensive fancy phone I am unable to quickly take photos?! 

Wish I kept my Google Pixel 2. Teaches me a lesson on falling for crazy advertising I guess! 😞 

Highlighted

Can confirm it has been fixed in the latest July 1st update, just flashed it myself and all shots are instant now

Highlighted

This is because of the exynos processor. The s20 ultra which is sold in Europe has exynos processor but same model which is sold in US or Korea or Hong Kong has Snapdragon processor. That is the reason why i changed my s20 with the Snapdragon processor version. i bought it and compared both their cameras and i can confirm that s20 ultra having Snapdragon processor absolutely has no such problem. 

İ did too many test between 2 models and Snapdragon version is really great!

Top Liked Authors