Support

Open search

Adaptive refresh rate for S20 series

Overseer
I have been watching the Galaxy Unpacked event and reading the reviews on the Galaxy Note 20 series.

They have adaptive refresh rate as a feature to help improve battery life. Will this be a feature available in coming updates for the S20 series?

As an update to this, I have realised this is a hardware limitation but hopefully other solutions will be provided to improve battery on the S20 series.
14 REPLIES 14
Superuser I
Superuser I

I agree that would be a good implementation.

A similar thread @Goel  

galaxy-s20-s20-s20-ultra/adaptive-refresh-rate-and-resolution. 

From sammobile.com/news/galaxy-s20-will-switch-to-60-hz-refresh-rate-in-some-situations. 

"Samsung isn’t saying why it made the choice to allow the high refresh rate only at up to Full HD+ screen resolution. We’re assuming it has to do with the fact that pushing high refresh rates at high resolutions can be quite taxing on a device’s GPU and affect battery life. And we have now learned that even at Full HD+, the Galaxy S20 won’t always stick to 120 Hz refresh rate and will automatically switch to 60 Hz in certain situations."

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-N9860_256Gb SnapDragon 865+

Samsung One Ui 2.5/ Android 10.

Pathfinder

i very much doubt is possible as its a hardware rather than software limitation - the notes20 have a newer improved OLED screen that allows them this (the s20's dont)

however if it makes you feel better the notes20 cannot either support 120hz in QFD+

I was not aware that it would be a hardware limitation.
GrandMaster

to implement true variable refresh rate you need an LTPO display which is in the note 20 but not s20 and that is why it was enver put on the s20 at the moment it is an hardware limitation as far as i know, and it is an hardware limitation the fact that you cannot do wqhd at 120hz, there is not enough screen bandwidht and if you want to do that you need to compromise on colour quality which is what happens on wqhd 120hz displays on smartphones currently

Archer
Pathfinder

the Qhd+ at 120 is a limitation of the chipset exynos 990

apparently the tab 7 can do 120hz at Qhd+ because is uses SD865

that means the s20s/notes20s with SD can do Qhd+ at 120hz but sammy didnt allow it so they dont take the difference between the 2 chip performance even further

yet another example of how we on exynos got screwed over 

NO NO and again NO.

Sorry @London2tim if i sound rude but i really want to know where you saw what you reported.

The screen refresh rate and resolution has nothing to do with the soc not being capable of it, they are not correlated and will never be, you can run a 120hz monitor on a core duo e4300 if the link between the gpu and the monitor has enough bandwidth.

The note and s20 cannot do 120hz at qhd plus because the screen has not enough bandwidth to push 120frames, at 1440p and also retain the perfect colour accuracy of the display.All the other phones who at the moment do 120hz at qud plus can do that because  they have less colour coverage and need less bandwidth overall.

The soc has nothing to with that.

Archer
Pathfinder

@Archer_Legend while it might be a bitter pill to swallow - that samsung screwed us over with the exynos - the presumtion that the limitation of 120hz at QHD+ is down to exynos990 has been documented by the guys at sammobile - see article here

https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-tab-s7-runs-at-120hz-refresh-rate-at-maximum-screen-resolution...

i know those guys know their ***** and to be honest its very clear that is the issue - 

on top of that there is also this more recent article on how the exynos990 is a disaster for samsung 

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-exynos-990-fiasco-fixable-needs-help

am only stating the obvious - everyone decides what they want to believe 

Pathfinder

oh and forgot to say - its not about being able to physically do it or not - is about performance and the phone not blowing up in your hand as its gets way too hot and the battery dies in 15 min

so maybe in theory the exynos can support it too - the problem is that is so badly optimised they could never allow it as the gap between the exynos and SD would be even bigger

GrandMaster

The fact that the screen has not enough bandwidth has already been disclosed, even if samsung wanted they cannot force 120hz at qhd plus on both the exynos and the snapdragon since neither of the 2 screens has enough bandwidth.

The tab s7 uses a different panel and the bandwidth is there to allow that.

"Exynos is badly optimised", i am sure you know the word optimised does not mean anything really so i'd like you to explain which are the areas or the architectural problem behind what is generally, and erroneusly, called optimisation.

And just to be clear the claims in your last message about the exynos getting to hot if that is done are completely wrong, change sources and try to study electronics architecture and how they work a bit deeply and you will see much more than now.

Looking forward for your reply

Archer
Top Liked Authors