Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Whatsapp notifications (and possible others) reverting settings

(Topic created on: 18-06-2020 06:03 AM)
branchcream
Apprentice
Options

I try to disable notifications for groups via notification settings. But everytime I get a group messages it reverts to the old setting. I tried to solve this in app but even though the notifications are disabled in app i still get pop ups, vibration and sound. Is this a bug?

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
elfakyn
First Poster
Options

I got so annoyed I contacted WhatsApp support. This is intended behavior:

Hi,

On Android 10, WhatsApp added special rules for group notifications and message notifications:

• These notifications are always on by default. If you turn them off, the notifications will turn back on when you receive a message.
  • Silent importance is disabled. If you set notifications to Silent importance, the notifications will automatically change to Alerting importance when you receive a message.

You can adjust your WhatsApp notifications in device Settings > Apps & Notifications > WhatsApp > App notifications. If you want to set the behavior to *Other* importance, you can set the notification sound to None. For all other pre-populated notifications, we don't recommend modifying importance.

This is an intended functionality of the app. We apologize for any confusion.

Regards,

<REDACTED>

WhatsApp Support Team

I guess one recourse is to (politely) voice our complaints to whatsapp via twitter or support.

0 Likes
Naman
Explorer
Options

This issue is not just limited to Samsung.

This is a Android bug accepted by Google but it is not rectified. There is android issue tracker, below is the link with bug number

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/139212329

Kindly star mark this issue for fast resolution

0 Likes
Mreric66
Pioneer
Options
How do I stop WhatsApp messages appearing in my Samsung messages
0 Likes