Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Suggestion : make "no update available" message more verbose

(Topic created on: 26-01-2020 01:29 PM)
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

Having recently been involved in discussions around the question whether and why specific combinations of CSCs don't get updates, see

Galaxy-S10e-S10-S10-S10-5G/S10-Android-10-Not-Updating

Galaxy-S10e-S10-S10-S10-5G/S10-Android-10-not-getting-update

I would suggest that Samsung add a bit of verbosity to the message about the non-availability of updates. If there is no support for an existing combination of ( software components relating to ) CSCs, then the message should elaborate on that, so that the user knows that simply by waiting he won't succeed in getting an update. That might save a lot of trouble, misunderstandings and customer dissatisfaction and make the Samsung Android Cosmos a safer place.

@SE11  @Igsu  : I've taken your topics as examples for the issue.

@AntS  : could you bring that to the attention of the powers that be ?

14 REPLIES 14
doesitmatter
Voyager
Options

@IreibeX wrote:

Having recently been involved in discussions around the question whether and why specific combinations of CSCs don't get updates, see

Galaxy-S10e-S10-S10-S10-5G/S10-Android-10-Not-Updating

Galaxy-S10e-S10-S10-S10-5G/S10-Android-10-not-getting-update

I would suggest that Samsung add a bit of verbosity to the message about the non-availability of updates. If there is no support for an existing combination of ( software components relating to ) CSCs, then the message should elaborate on that, so that the user knows that simply by waiting he won't succeed in getting an update. That might save a lot of trouble, misunderstandings and customer dissatisfaction and make the Samsung Android Cosmos a safer place.

@SE11  @Igsu  : I've taken your topics as examples for the issue.

@AntS  : could you bring that to the attention of the powers that be ?

Except you keep insisting in giving incorrect information that the sim has anything to do with an update, it doesn't.

The device will update according to the CSC for which the device was made for not the sim and the corresponding csc for the sim. The last CSC you see in the grouping is where the device was made for, it matters not what the CSC's prior are showing. As one can take out the sims, be on wifi and still receive an update.

Your explanation is failing as there are plenty of people who put another countries firmware on their device and still received the update. By your logic that should have never occured, yet it did. You can not change the CSC for which the device made even putting another firmware on the device.

One has to wait until the update is pushed out from that countries servers corresponding with the device's CSC.

As i've stated though, I think Samsung has pulled or slowed down the updates due to the numerous complaints and issues surrounding their release of 10.

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@doesitmatter wrote:

@IreibeX wrote:

As one can take out the sims, be on wifi and still receive an update.

Your explanation is failing as there are plenty of people who put another countries firmware on their device and still received the update. By your logic that should have never occured, yet it did. You can not change the CSC for which the device made even putting another firmware on the device.

Once the phone's CSC is configured according to the SIM, that SIM can be removed, the CSC stays. Why should there be a problem with wifi ?

There are CSCs that use the same software components. When you change between such CSCs, no problem arises. But there are incompatible CSCs.

Reading the topic @Igsu  started and you commented upon it's clear that he/she didn't get the available security updates from october on. So there is no reason to assume that he'll get the android 10 update once Samsung releases it.

I suggest we ask a higher autority  @AntS whether my last conclusion is a valid one.

0 Likes
doesitmatter
Voyager
Options

@IreibeX wrote:

@doesitmatter wrote:

@IreibeX wrote:

As one can take out the sims, be on wifi and still receive an update.

Once the phone's CSC is configured according to the SIM, that SIM can be removed, the CSC stays. Why should there be a problem with wifi ?

There are CSCs that use the same software components. When you change between such CSCs, no problem arises. But there are incompatible CSCs.

Reading the topic @Igsu  started and you commented upon it's clear that he/she didn't get the available security updates from october on. So there is no reason to assume that he'll get the android 10 update once Samsung releases it.

I suggest we ask a higher autority  @AntS whether my last conclusion is a valid one.

Wrong, once the sim is removed the csc for the sim does not stay. If I take out the sims or take out one, my sim csc's change. I have 2 different country csc sims in my device, with a completely different device country csc.

The update comes to the device depending on the csc the device was made for, that's it. The last csc you see, is the country the device was made for and can not be changed ever. No matter the sim installed nor the firmware.

There are plenty of people complaining that their devices are not receiving the updates across countries and csc's. You're assuming wrongly that it has to do with the sim, it doesn't.  I have a U.S. sim and a U.K sim on an XSP device. I've received every single update. By your logic I shouldn't have received them. My partner has an S10+ as well, his is a PAK csc but uses it in the U.S. with a U.S. sim, he received the update, yet by your logic once again he shouldn't have. He not only received the 10 update, but also received a bug fix update to the 10 already because there are clearly issues with it.

People's issues with not receiving updates can be a plethora of issues, since nobody knows exactly what they've done to their devices for starters. You're assuming they haven't already touched something. But assuming they didn't,  there are still plenty of reasons why.  For XSP as I stated prior, Sammobile said it was released but when attempting to pull the update directly from Samsung, it has been removed. A device can't pull an update that no longer is available. Why was it removed? Updates are still rolling out and Samsung is not known for sending updates in a timely manner... at all.

TBH with as many complaints I see on all the forums, I'm not installing it on my device until Samsung gets their act together because it clearly has tons of bugs and it should never have been released in the first place. The S10+ is buggy enough already, let alone to add more to it. People should count their blessings they haven't received it.

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@doesitmatter: Changing the SIM doesn't necessarily change the active CSC code. But you can change the active CSC code, for example as follows :

help_is_it_possible_to_change_the_csc_code

"1) Take a backup of your personal files. This will clear all your data. 2) Turn off your phone and remove the sim. 3) Press and hold the Bixby, Volume down and Power buttons together until display turns on. 4) Select 'Wipe data / Factory reset' and confirm reset 5) After reset completes, Select 'Power off' and turn off the phone 6) Now insert the sim and turn on the phone, it will start again in recovery mode 7) Select 'Reboot system' 😎 After the phone restarts, continue choosing the options 9) It displays an alert that the sim is changed, select 'Restart' 10) Check your software version in the about screen, it will be changed to current CSC"

And a changed CSC code will result in changed mix of software components on the phone. Which doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get updates - if that mix is a supported mix than you will get updates. Otherwise you won't. Whatever you and partner did or didn't to get updates doesn't mean that either @SE11 or @Igsu will get updates at any time or that they corrupted their phones by other means.

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

On second thoughts I think this discussion shows how helpful a verbose no-update-is-available-message would be.

@doesitmatter @AntS : wouldn't it be nice if this dispute were resolved simply looking at the message telling us the reason, be it CSC-region-mix or a rooted phone or whatever ?

0 Likes
doesitmatter
Voyager
Options

@IreibeX wrote:

@doesitmatter: Changing the SIM doesn't necessarily change the active CSC code. But you can change the active CSC code, for example as follows :

help_is_it_possible_to_change_the_csc_code

"1) Take a backup of your personal files. This will clear all your data. 2) Turn off your phone and remove the sim. 3) Press and hold the Bixby, Volume down and Power buttons together until display turns on. 4) Select 'Wipe data / Factory reset' and confirm reset 5) After reset completes, Select 'Power off' and turn off the phone 6) Now insert the sim and turn on the phone, it will start again in recovery mode 7) Select 'Reboot system' 😎 After the phone restarts, continue choosing the options 9) It displays an alert that the sim is changed, select 'Restart' 10) Check your software version in the about screen, it will be changed to current CSC"

And a changed CSC code will result in changed mix of software components on the phone. Which doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get updates - if that mix is a supported mix than you will get updates. Otherwise you won't. Whatever you and partner did or didn't to get updates doesn't mean that either @SE11 or @Igsu will get updates at any time or that they corrupted their phones by other means.

Final time, you can not change the csc code for the country the device was made for. It matters not what csc code the sim or sims are using... None. That has no effect on what update you will receive as it goes by the country the device was made for which never ever ever ever changes. This isn't diffcult to understand at all.

You keep thinking that the sim csc has anything whatsoever to do with updates or the country of the device, it doesn't. All that does is load in certain features available that are already on the device. ie for wifi calling and volte.

I agree with you that it should state, no update for this device is available or something.

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@doesitmatter wrote:

Final time, you can not change the csc code for the country the device was made for.

I agree with you that it should state, no update for this device is available or something.

I never said that you could change the product code :face-with-tears-of-joy: . I refer to the active CSC.

In the vendor info it shows like this : <active CSC>/<CSC for SIM1>[,<CSC for SIM2>/<product code>

---

Thank you for agreeing :smiling-face:

---

Hey, what do you think : shall we call it a day and wait for the MOD and the two affected users to tell us how this worked out ? I don't claim superior intelligence or knowledge, maybe I'm wrong, let's see what happens.

---

Have a nice day !

0 Likes
doesitmatter
Voyager
Options

@IreibeX wrote:

@doesitmatter wrote:

Final time, you can not change the csc code for the country the device was made for.

I never said that you could change the product code :face-with-tears-of-joy: . I refer to the active CSC.

In the vendor info it shows like this : <active CSC>/<CSC for SIM1>[,<CSC for SIM2>/<product code>

---

Thank you for agreeing :smiling-face:

---

Hey, what do you think : shall we call it a day and wait for the MOD and the two affected users to tell us how this worked out ? I don't claim superior intelligence or knowledge, maybe I'm wrong, let's see what happens.

---

Have a nice day !

The first csc shows you the active firmware you have, the middle one shows you the csc of the sim or sims and the last csc is the country of the device.  It matters nothing what the sim csc's are, none.  If you change the firmware you will recieve that countries firmware. In this case the firmware and the country are the same, therefore one will receive that countries firmware when available, it matters zero what the middle csc's attached to a sim are.

If you head over to xda, there are a ton of threads to read up on how what the csc's mean, firmware and updates.  But to go around telling people they are having issues because of their sim's csc's is wrong in particular when you just state you don't know.

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@doesitmatter wrote:

If you head over to xda, there are a ton of threads to read up on how what the csc's mean, firmware and updates.  But to go around telling people they are having issues because of their sim's csc's is wrong in particular when you just state you don't know.

That was an offer of peace :face-with-tears-of-joy: but if you insist on writing on, well, write on ! So you claim superior knowledge ... well, perhaps we'll see eventually.

EDIT : I found some others topics dealing with this or a similar issue, given them the link to this topic here and asked for further opionions. Let's hope we'll get this cleared up.

0 Likes